Spotty bloom?

tn_artist

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Wilson, NC
Screenshot_20190928-084402_Gallery.jpg
Good morning all! We got our first Welsummer egg yesterday. I was so excited. On closer inspection it is speckled, but not in the way some Welsummer eggs are. It looks more like the bloom didn't entirely coat the egg. There are a couple of places where the specks look like they were scraped off. (One spot is obviously from chicken feet)
Is this normal for some pullets? I know her system is just getting started, but I hadn't seen bloom issues as a new layer issue on here before. Thoughts?
:idunno

Totally normal, and especially so when they’ve got multiple aspects to their coating. It takes a few weeks usually for my new welsummer layers to settle out to what their typical pattern will look like. I have one that lays a very light egg almost absent a single spot for a few days before the egg gets darker and sort of spotted and then it’s a typical welsummer egg.

here’s my favorite welsummer hens eggs ... after she comes back on line each season, she lays some abstract works of art.

3C71C361-5C78-4F72-AE94-0201F8C5692B.jpeg

Those are beautiful! I hope at least one of mine will have Speckles.
About three of your eggs: I am an elementary school art teacher and often have to "interpret" student work. Sometimes inappropriate things come up. I love the egg in back, then it struck me that it's a head with hair, and needs a face. The front one is an impressive set of thick eye brows. And the last, non speckled egg, looks like a body part that we have to discuss appropriate subject matter, if it shows up. :lau:lau:lau

Those are beautiful! I hope at least one of mine will have Speckles.
About three of your eggs: I am an elementary school art teacher and often have to "interpret" student work. Sometimes inappropriate things come up. I love the egg in back, then it struck me that it's a head with hair, and needs a face. The front one is an impressive set of thick eye brows. And the last, non speckled egg, looks like a body part that we have to discuss appropriate subject matter, if it shows up. :lau:lau:lau
Hahahahaha! I’m always “seeing” things in patterns. First time in an egg, though.

Nice pic!
Nothing to worry about, have several that lay those.

'Speckled' eggs can happen for several different reasons...very few, if any, of which are a 'problem'.
Can be caused by:
Excess or uneven pigment coating.
Excess or uneven cuticle(bloom).
Excess calcium deposits.
Porous eggs can appear speckled.
Some birds lay them consistently, some only once in awhile.
The pigment or bloom can change appearance when wet, then change back when dry again.

As long as bird is getting a good diet and is healthy in every other way, it is no cause for concern.

Back
Top Bottom