Spraddle leg, curly toe, and bubbling!! Help!

ScottsdaleChickenFam

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2022
We just received a new chick batch today - they were born yesterday - that included 2 golden sebright bantams. They both had one spraddle leg and one had curly toes. My husband and I made one a sandal and leg brace. And the other got a leg brace. We used surgical tape and teeny tiny bandaids. And an index card and surgical tape for the sandal. I separated them from the other chicks and they are sleeping, eating, and drinking. However one just bubbled at the mouth like it was choking. But it is fine again.

Did we do the shoe and braces right? How long do we leave them on? Any tips??

Attachments

• 21074F1C-B785-455C-901A-117AA065B3B2.jpeg
    21074F1C-B785-455C-901A-117AA065B3B2.jpeg
    556.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 44F78AC1-7023-416C-A9C6-BD90BC079644.jpeg
    44F78AC1-7023-416C-A9C6-BD90BC079644.jpeg
    390.2 KB · Views: 7
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/curly-toed-paralysis

It's a deficiency from the parents. You can make a "sandal" for the CTP chick also and give it some Nutri Drench or Poultry Cell, add some boiled egg yolk to its food. It's a Riboflavin deficiency.... I had a chick develop it at 3wks, took about 3wks. Make sure to change out the "sandals" as they do grow. Also they need traction, I used a towel & would let them "therapy" on it.

How's your chick?
Way better today. Somehow he broke his shoe off in the night but his foot isn’t curled up anymore. He can walk very well in this new hobble we made. He seems to be getting much stronger. Still flops around sometimes but he ran at the camera right after this picture and didn’t fall down. I also made him a nutrient potion with electrolytes!

Attachments

• 042FCB53-7DF9-48BD-B99E-5C9A80BEB423.jpeg
    042FCB53-7DF9-48BD-B99E-5C9A80BEB423.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 7
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/curly-toed-paralysis

It's a deficiency from the parents. You can make a "sandal" for the CTP chick also and give it some Nutri Drench or Poultry Cell, add some boiled egg yolk to its food. It's a Riboflavin deficiency.... I had a chick develop it at 3wks, took about 3wks. Make sure to change out the "sandals" as they do grow. Also they need traction, I used a towel & would let them "therapy" on it.
Thank you!!! I made him a potion with poultry vitamins that contain riboflavin and he and the other are doing a lot better. I also put paper towels down for traction.

Attachments

• E471F099-3583-40AB-A2AE-6C3A0ABB7A76.jpeg
    E471F099-3583-40AB-A2AE-6C3A0ABB7A76.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 7
Way better today. Somehow he broke his shoe off in the night but his foot isn’t curled up anymore. He can walk very well in this new hobble we made. He seems to be getting much stronger. Still flops around sometimes but he ran at the camera right after this picture and didn’t fall down. I also made him a nutrient potion with electrolytes!
Glad he/she is doing better!

We just received a new chick batch today - they were born yesterday - that included 2 golden sebright bantams. They both had one spraddle leg and one had curly toes. My husband and I made one a sandal and leg brace. And the other got a leg brace. We used surgical tape and teeny tiny bandaids. And an index card and surgical tape for the sandal. I separated them from the other chicks and they are sleeping, eating, and drinking. However one just bubbled at the mouth like it was choking. But it is fine again.

Did we do the shoe and braces right? How long do we leave them on? Any tips??
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313927598614?hash=item49178b0216:g:i8sAAOSwMbViPCLE
I have used these before and they work wonders.

Back
Top Bottom