Spraddle leg...or NOT?? Newbie could use help with chick!

Getaway Gal

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
Hocking Hills
I am new to chickens and have chicks that I picked up at the Post Office on Tuesday. There is one Australorp that looks to be the smallest in the bunch. She caught my atttention because she prefers to sit/lie down rather than stand, which set her apart from the rest. She can wak, and can run perfectly fine if startled, but when given the chance...plop, down she goes. You can almost time it. Step, step.....plop. It seems like the legs work ok, then...plop. The pictures of spraddle legged chicks that I see online show the legs being very pronounced out to the sides. Is this always the case?? Sometimes one or the other looks like it's out some when she's down, but nothing as pronounced as those photos. Would I know it 100%, or could it be that I'm seeing a mild case or the begining of a problem? She seems alert rather than being lethargic. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. I haven't found mention of another problem with the legs other than this. Thanks in advance!

Sounds more like a nervous system disorder. I've seen a similar problem in alot of beef cattle, I've never seen it in chickens but i would guess its possible. I've had spraddle legs and it dosn't sound like thats the problem. I wouldn't guess it wouldn't probably be worth the money it would take to check out a treatment, but if anybody else on here has had your problem they may be able to tell you of a beef cattle med. that might pull your chick out of it.

She may just be having a harder time recovering from shipping stress. I'd take her out a few times a day and give her an extra snack, maybe a little cottage cheese or scrambled egg or yogurt mixed in with a little feed. She may be having trouble getting enough to eat and drink.

Get electrolytes and vitamins in the water. Keep the brooder at 96 - 98 degrees. Then decrease it 5 degrees every week. They will let you know but them huddling together meaning that they are cold.
A new chick is usually weak at first until they start to develop. They will sleep alot. And will be wobbly. Esp. if they were shipped, they have been jostled around a bunch, so they need time to readjust.
I hope this helps....
Good Luc

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I have the vitamins & electrolytes in their water, and temp is good. Chickie is still doing about the same. She still prefers to sit/lie down, and can still walk or run, but looks like she walks almost like a penguin...not the back & forth action, but a little jerky. I also see her breathing more deeply than the others, and she will sometimes like down on her side with her feet extended out. I'd love to give her some extra TLC & watch exactly what she's eating & dringking & give her some extras, but whevever i take her out of the tank with the others, she freaks out. If I put another chick in with her, she's ok, but she just looks awfully stressed by the whole thing, which I want to avoid. That said, I still want to get her seperated from the others just so that I can monitor her better. I also have baby turkeys (seperate housing, seperate origin, etc...) that is not doing as well as the others (with her...she just also prefers to sit/lie down, unlike all of the others, but no observable issues walking). Can I put these two problem children together for their extra observation & TLC?? Thanks!

Okay do you have an update yet? How is she doing with walking?

When she is lying down she might be doing the cute little stretchy thing "Sun Bathing" mine do it as well as dust bathe. It almost resembles a seizure when they dust bathe. If you have never seen it before, your in for a hilarious treat.

She is really doing just about the same. I'm not seeing any improvement, but it does not seem to be worsening either. She still has the jerky walk and prefers to stay down, and she still tends to breathe heavily....but she does not appear to be declining. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom