Spraddle Legs in Welsummer Chicks

seramaMomma

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 26, 2011
I hatched my first batch of Welsummers this week. It is turning out terrible. I had 42 eggs in the bator. Some were Polish and also Easter Eggers. My Welsummer chicks are almost all spraddle legged and need help to stand thru tape. Has anyone else had such trouble?

No, never like that many chicks at one time. If I can remember, I only had one chick that was sprattled legged but it was not a Welsummer. Where did you get your eggs from?

At a big chicken swap that is done twice a year in the Richmond, VA area. Since none of the other breeds turned out this way and were in the bator at the sme time it seems to me that it isn't an incubation problem. However I have never had Welsummers before this so am wondering if they are prone to this. It could be genetic too ????? Makes me want to put the whole batch down especially since most seem to be turning out as little Roos. My main reason for getting the eggs was to raise some hens for myself for dark eggs. Well hopefully someone else will see this and give some more insight.

It is difficult to say what causes the splay feet to occur. sometimes it is the nutrition of the parents. Genetics? I dont know honestly because no one seems to have that problem or not saying anything.

How did you know they are little roos? The markings are not 100% fool proof, had chicks marked as females ended up as males or vice versa.

Did you know who you got the eggs from?

Back
Top Bottom