Spraddles -causes

equus2

Songster
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Near Antelope Island, Utah!!
I have had 3 cases of spraddles, in my java chicks, this year, out of 25 chicks so far. Two of the three were brooder hatched, and the third was with a broody, but brought inside to the brooder immediately upon hatching.

They are hatched on a waffle mat, and are "spraddled" the minute they are out of the egg, so it's not something that developed from slippery footing. My java chicks seem to be huge this year, but this just might be an illusion, since they are hatching "next door" to silkies.

Could I have some kind of nutritional deficiency in the parents? They get oyster shell, and free range daily.

In one case, the bandaid worked. In another it did not, and jury is still out on this third chick (who is propped between two papertowel holders).

Darn it.

Since I've been a member to this forum I have read a lot about spraddle legs but have never seen a pic of it. I hope to never experience it but would like to know for educational purposes. Can you describe it for me? Sorry this has to happen to your chicks.

Henry'schickens :

Since I've been a member to this forum I have read a lot about spraddle legs but have never seen a pic of it. I hope to never experience it but would like to know for educational purposes. Can you describe it for me? Sorry this has to happen to your chicks.

It can happen to one or both legs. Here is a pic of chick with both legs spraddled.
http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

ep.gif
That is not a good thing. Thank you horsejody for the info. Another thing I hope not to have to encounter in the future but know what to do if it happens.

Back
Top Bottom