Sprained again

Crs1

Songster
9 Years
May 13, 2014
Kansas City, MO
My black Orpington cockerel had a sprained leg and it got better but the last few days his limping is coming back and it seems to be worse. I have started rubbing aspercreme on it to help with the pain:idunno
He is in a coop with the alpha rooster so I m assuming that he has been chased off the roost and landed wrong or heavy again. He is a large bird
So I have decided to put him in an 8x8 run and coop with hens for a week to see if I can get his leg better
My fear is when I let him back with the flock it will be worse for him. He is such a beautiful cockerel I would hate to lose him and the 2 black Orpington pullets that I hatched with him from eggs I bought to help out a broody before I got a rooster. The 3 have always been a group til lately and now the pullets seem to be mingling more. They are 6 months old.
I guess my question is would it be wrong to seperate the three. Let the pullets stay in the coop they are in with the alpha rooster and try to get the new cockerel used to the new coop that I have him in today. But that would be the thing to do for the sake of the cockerel?

If you have only 2 roosters and you separate one you will have a hard time getting them back together, especially since you already have problems. You may have to keep him permanently separated. 2 roosters don't usually work out, especially in a confined run. They will fight and squabble endlessly until someone is killed. When daylight starts to increase after the winter solstice and hormones start to surge in your roosters things will get worse more than likely.

Not what I want to hear:hitalthough I know 2 roosters don’t mix
The alpha is a great rooster!
But the BO is a beautiful bird!
The BO stays clear of the alpha most of the time
would it be wise to get him set up in the new coop and run with other hens and no rooster and let them out together during the day?
And what do I do for his sprain?

If it's truly a sprain confinement and rest is best. I personally would set up two coops if you want to keep both roosters. You can also just swap out roosters, keeping one penned. I would observe them together when out to see if there's a problem. As long as they can get away from each other it usually is okay. People run into problems when the loser can't get away.

BO stays far away for the most part
There are times, first thing in the morning or when they are close together at a feeder but other than that there is distance
So I am going do the seperAte coopsand wait for spring to come. Thank you

And what do I do for his sprain?
If it is a sprain I would wrap it with vet wrap. Not to tight but enough to keep things is place. When I wrap after I am done I usually pinch the end of the toe to make sure color comes back quickly as you don't want to cut circulation off. And for pain 1/2 baby aspirin 81mg ones twice a day for no more than 4 days in a row is what I have read about and also done in the past. I would not do rub on creams.
Here is a picture of some wrap I bought today as I am currently wrapping a chickens foot also. JPEG_20181209_162412_271967173.jpg

Back
Top Bottom