Spring 2017 first timers post!

Pics
@IdyllwildAcres that sucks about your neighbor, mine was decided and told me that if I didn4 get a rooster he was going to get one for me because he loves hearing them crow in the morning!
yesss.gif

Last edited:
@IdyllwildAcres that sucks about your neighbor, mine was decided and told me that if I didn4 get a rooster he was going to get one for me because he loves hearing them crow in the morning!
yesss.gif

Thanks, he is a royal PITA

I should get a mp3 file of a rooster crowing, and play it for him at 4 am..... And when he calls animal control I will be like, what rooster? lol, or not. Someone has to be the mature one and it certainly will not be the man baby next door.

Gary

Last edited:

Yes, bought the coop at TSC and went back toe the fun that goes with it. Then that didn't look all that big so now I put a 10X10 dog kennel up. I'm going to put the bird-x netting over top. It is 14X15 mesh. I hope to keep out the halls. And cyotes.

I showed my husband your set-up and he wants me to ask how many chickens you plan to keep? We have a similar Tractor Supply coop that *says* 6-8 chickens, but more realistically holds 4. We had to get the minimum 6 chicks at TSC and they are all thriving. We are trying to figure out a coop/run combo that will reasonably accomodate them. Hubby wants to do a dog kennel run like yours.

Last edited:
This weekend I cleaned out the back of the shed where I'm planning on building my coop.

Before

Now

With the door I'm going to use

TThis will be the outside run area

But they are going to be mostly free range, hopefully sticking to this nice wooded area so that they don't get picked up by hawks

I got the coop at TSC. It says it holds about 6-8. I got the minimum of 6 at TSC and the neighbors dog got one. So now I have 5. This is my first year

Ok, cool. It's our first year, too. Your set-up looks good. We've been searching Craigslist, etc. for used kennels. But might end up building our own run.

Everyone has their own way of doing things and no one way is correct for all but I have read over and over that the premade coops can be seriously lacking and most folks who get them end up replacing them rather quickly or regretting their purchase. Just FYI it may be better to spend a little up front to have a more secure, better sized and sturdier coop from the beginning. The consensus is by building your own you save money in the long run. But everyone has to do what's right for their situation.

Back
Top Bottom