Spring Chickens - We survived winter!

OK, I need to know:

How on earth did they keep laying without light?????
hmm.png

I'm in PA and mine stopped in Nov and just start back
up again last week!!!

Do you have top-secret gov issued chickens?
Tell me your secret, please
smile.png

No secret weapon. Besides, if I told ya, I might have'ta kill ya.

But seriously, I have 4 Buff Orps, just turned 1 year old. Their coop is not dark - they have a large southern window. I didn't have an electrical outlet left for a lightbulb, but they did get filtered (because of the hardware wire) light through the windows and indirect light (north side of coop) in their run.

They eat layer pellets and get a couple handfuls of BOSS and corn twice a day as a treat. Their pop door gets opened for access to the run when the temp is above 10 (which is most of the time except for January/February). And (embarrassingly) they each get a hug a day from me. What I can say - I'm smitten. All laid throughout the winter, and I had a 4-egg day about 3-4 times a week.

Who knows, maybe it's the lovin?
smile.png

Such a beautiful day today! We still have tons of snow just across the border from you in Roberts but we have lots of trees too. The snow/ice is melting and running like rivers.

Um, when I said I saw grass, I meant I have a muddy mucky brown patch in my yard. Least you Minnesotans think I meant something lush and green. I'm right there with you on the mud hole (the chickens think this is very fun).

MOST of my yard is still about 2-4' deep in snow. My cold frame has living green spinach in it from last November!!

See all that nice grass in the background next to my cold frame?
tongue.png

7883_img_9140.jpg

What, you don't see it? On the other side of the car at the corner headed toward the trash can...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom