Spring flock 2014 in Albuquerque

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sam3 Abq, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Sam3 Abq

Sam3 Abq Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    My family and I are planning our 1st flock for spring 2014 here in Albuquerque, NM. I believe we are settled on the following breeds for our dive into urban-chickens:
    1. Australorp.
    2. Rhode Island Red.
    3. Plymouth Rock.
    4. Easter Egger.
    5. Golden laced Wyandotte.
    6. Buff Sussex.
    7. Wellsummer.

Any thoughts on these girls individually and as a group all together ?

Thanks !

2. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Hi Sam3Abq and [​IMG]

It looks like you have a wonderful list of breeds there. I love a flock of different breeds because you can tell them apart and their eggs usually are distinctive too!

I have or have had Welsummers, Barred Rocks, Easter Eggers and Speckled Sussex (all hatchery stock). I have friends with Hatchery RIR and Australorps, sorry don't have any knowledge of the Wyandottes.

Can I assume that you are going for a good egg-laying mixture?

My best layers are/were my Barred Rock, Easter Egger and Welsummer. If I had to pick a flock of only one breed (from your list)I would have to pick Welsummers (with Barred Rocks in close second) because everyone loves the dark brown eggs.

My Speckled Sussex is super-friendly but her eggs are only medium sized so for eggs only the others have her beat. My friend with the RIR and Australorps loved them too.

Good luck with your adventure!

3. Sam3 Abq

Sam3 Abq Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Yes, egg layers ! Close second is the thought of different girls ;) Your experience is pretty much what my reading / research has told me. Finally, the question of cold/hot tolerant. Here in Albuquerque it can get freezing a few nights in winter and reach the 100's in the summer.
    Oh, one more finally, egg colors - all browns, one dark brown and the EE giving us pink, turquoise or greeny ? Thanks for the response ! - Sam

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by