1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spring meaties

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jtbrown, Dec 16, 2011.

1. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I was thinking of getting Cornish x this spring from TSC rather than ordering them. Any reason to order them direct over picking up a few at TSC? That way I can start with fewer and see how it goes and still have time to order larger batch later in spring.

Those of you with meaties in the past, if I get the meaties at the same time as say prod. reds, do I have to separate them right away or can I raise them together for most of the 6-8 weeks? Thanks in advance!

2. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    My vote would be to ORDER DIRECT...reason being this...at TSc...there are people - LOTS of people - with "grabby hands". Those same grabby hands spread potential germs...eh...maybe not a big BIG deal...BUT if aforementioned "grabby hands" pick up one kind of chick and then place it back in the wrong bin as they say "How cute!" well...you could pay for broiler chicks and bring home leghorns if you're unlucky like that!

Then...in a few weeks...when you have been thinking "mmmm....chicken" and you realize it's a leghorn in there...you will be disappointed [​IMG]

Yes, accidents can happen with hatchery chicks as well, but I would say it's a better chance you order broilers and GET broilers through a hatchery over TSC (and less chance of outside diseases coming in as well).

Just saying...that would be my only draw back/negative thought though....as far as the broilers, I say go for it and have fun! We are LOVING raising our own meat chickens!

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You can't really order just 1-2 meaties, or the shipping would add so much that they'd cost like caviar by the time you ate them. So if you only want to start with a couple to test the waters, you don't have a lot of options. Either buy from a feed store and take your chances. Or find someone else who wants a small order and go in together and split an order.

4. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    I bought 6 Cornish X chicks from TSC a few years ago. I ended up processing 5 of them. It will give you a good idea, just on a smaller scale, if you want to raise broilers.
    They are not for everyone.

Darin

5. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    I would go with tsc for small amounts.The chicks come from the same source Townline or Mt healthy.

6. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Thanks. That helps. I think I want to try 1/2 a dozen first go then maybe more in late spring or fall. I know I can butcher from my experience this fall, but want to test the water with more than just extra cockerals.

Anyone raise broilers mixed in with regular spring chicks (layers)? I can make a tractor, but would like to raise the 6 or so with my new chicks in spring.

7. Doctim

Doctim Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    North of Dallas, Texas
    I picked up what was supposed to be 12 cornish cross from TSC last April. I ended up with 5 Cornish cross, 6 buff orps anf a white leghorn. TSC is sort of a gamble if you ask me.
    Tim

8. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    As for keeping them together, or separate... I had all my birds, layers and meat birds together til 5 weeks or so, then I HAD to move meaties to their own quarters as they were twice the size of the standard layers... I would do whatever is convenient for the test... Good luck!

9. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Seperate is best if you can they will grow better. The others may pick at the meaties as they are not as agile.

10. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    USA
    my meaties from tsc did awesome!! not a single death well until it was time. if you do order and have space for a second pen and visit tsc often or could keep an eye on the chicks as they go on clearance once they start getting too big

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by