Sprouted feed

I don't sprout as many as a 5 gallon bucket (don't have enought chickens). I have an old large pickle jar with cheesecloth over it to rinse and drain. It fits in the fridge so the sprouts last me a while.

Where do you buy wheatgrass seed? Can you buy at the feed store? Online seed costs a lot. I haven't sprouted that but would like to try.

Thanks

Does buttermilk have the same probiotics as yogurt? Does it aid in digestion like yogurt? How much is too much and how often is too often; my girls like it in the mash I make with the alfalfa?

Another thread told how to take a gallon of milk, add one quart of buttermilk to have your own buttermilk. If the buttermilk does the same job, then I can easily mix it up and have in the frig for the girls.

I have been "sprouting" my grain a little different this year than in the past.
I take a small hoe and dig a shallow trench, then I put a thin layer of Oats and Wheat that has been soaking in water over night in the bottom of the trench. I then fill the trench with soil and cover it with a heavy board for about 4 to 5 days. On the 4th or 5th day I then take the board off the top of the trench and expose the young "seedlings" for the chickens to scratch at and eat.

Now that winter is coming on I will start sprouting in a bucket again till spring.
I soak Oat in a bucket of 1/2 water and 1/2 apple juice for 2 day (longer in the winter) then I drain the Grain and feed to the birds.
Note - I don't through out the liquid left over from soaking grain. The liquid that is left over is then either used to "enrich" the compost pile or used once a week when watering the birds.

The thing that you have to keep in mind is that some grains like Barley will ferment within 24 to 48 hours.

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
Why do you add the apple juice?

When you soak grains like Oats they adsorb a lot of liquid so I add apple juice. The apple juice has some vitamins/minerals and it adds a added benefit to feeding soaked oats/grains.

Chris

caf.gif

Boo-Boo's Mama :

What about sprouting Pinto Beans? Do they have as much protein as peas?

Sorry to be such a pest...just trying to find a variety of things to offer to my girls.

I say be a pest!

I would like to know also.

I have a question about wheat. Can you sprout the wheat you get at the feedstore or is there a souce for seed or what?​

Quote:
I say be a pest!

I would like to know also.

I have a question about wheat. Can you sprout the wheat you get at the feedstore or is there a souce for seed or what?

I would like to know about finding wheat to sprout. DH called about peas and all they had were some to be planted that had been treated and were $80 for 50#'s. I can buy one # at the grocery for 89 cents and that is food grade.

Back
Top Bottom