spurs/ and damage from

you could get like that liquid bandaid thing that dries on contact and just put it on the wound . you have some agressive roosters. also you might want to bring her in for a while, the other chickens like to peck on the weak

I have been keeping a close eye on her/them. I put a bunch of pine tar on her back, at the vets suggestion. It tastes really bitter, and it stops other birds from pecking her. the adhesive bandage I put on her is holding on good. So I think she will heal up just finee.

You could buy some chicken saddles. If you go on Ebay you could just type in "chicken saddle" and it will bring it up. They don't cost very much. That may be the best method for keeping feathers on your girls backs!

I DO NOT recommend the hot potato method...I did it ONCE and it looked like I was visited by OJ and Jack the Ripper...I was covered with blood and Slifer's legs were covered too.
Because the heat brings the blood flow to the area, it causes more bleeding.
With the pliers method. I wrap the bird in a towel and hold him/her firmly. Grab an ankle and grip the spur in the pliers. Twist counterclockwise until the spur covering pops off. The do the other spur. Give the birdy treats and give yourself a pat on the back.

I think I for got to post that I had gotten brave enough to remove the spurs on the roos. Not at all hard. I thought itwas going to be really hard, and they were going to bleed a lot. They did niether, they only bled a tiny bit. And removing them with the pliers was very simple, just twisred and off they came. My duaghter even did two by her self. So thank every one for all your help. Me and my hens are greatful.
wee.gif

Man spotted crow I thought you were nutts , and I wasgoing to kill my roos, or at least cripple them for life!! But now I know that you know what you were talking about. I now am just wondering howoften I will need to do this. Do they come back pretty fast, like a finger nail? Or will it take quite a while before they start getting they get back to where they can do damage agian?

You might try filing the spur with a finger nail file. I've never used it for spurs, but if the roosters are tame I'd think it would be worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom