Sqft of a bale?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickenwhisperer, Oct 13, 2010.

1. I asked on the easygarden site, but maybe more farmers here.
    What sqft of land grows a bales-worth of hay.
    I have some orchard and oat grass seed to plant once I get my soil in good condition.

My plan is to grow my own hay for my rabbits, using compost made here and a rototiller.
    All said, I paid about 25$ for dozens of acres-worth of seed.

2. DesertChickens

DesertChickens In the Brooder

Feb 24, 2010
    Yuma, AZ
    Well, that's a highly variable thing to try to come up with. We raise alfalfa here on the farm. Our yield is about 3 tons per acre, which comes out to about 16 bales per ton. Now, that number varies from my neighbor a few miles away because we have different soils, different irrigation, and different fertilizing techniques. Then, if you factor in time between cuttings, that can change it as well.

I guess the answer here is that there is no steadfast rule. I would recommend asking neighboring farmers what sort of yield they are pulling off. Check with your local cooperative extension service as well- it's a really underrated resource.

Good luck!

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

What kind an size an weight of bales.

4. Thankyou, that gives me lots to think about actually.

This is my backyard Im talkin about, I have about 15,000 sqft to work with, whats that bout 1/2 an acre?

But, theoretically, it sounds like this might just be possible.

Im really getting in to this backyard farming, I cant have everything I want here, but I got alot to work with and if I can make this yard provide for my animals and myself, thats really what its all about . . .

I was attempting to regain control of the lawn here and its been fairly good, but i got these grass-hay seeds here and Im not feedin a herd of cows, I got about a dozen or so rabbits.

Its not that hay is too expensive, it gives me a project and I dont have to drive anywhere to get feed.

5. Quote:I dunno, standard 3-twiner I guess . . .
    Im not looking for exact numbers, just roughly how many bales can I get if I plant say a 200' x 50' patch of hay-seed?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  6. DesertChickens

DesertChickens In the Brooder

Feb 24, 2010
    Yuma, AZ
    Yes! I'm sure the bunnies would love it so much! Good luck!

7. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chirping

Jul 8, 2010
    I bale hay in 4x4 600lb round bales. If I remember correctly, and depending on how tight the bale is, it takes roughly an area 10ft by 600ft for a bale.

8. Quote:See thats perfect, thankyou so much!

Thats roughly 100lbs of hay(wet or dried???) per 1000sqft . . . unless Im wrong, math was never my strong point.

Granted, like DesertChickens said, there are variables to factor in . . .

9. Ps- I obviously dont have a baler or any of that real hay equip, I see myself stooped over with my gas powered hedger mowing my "pasture" 3-4x next year.

If I could get 600lbs of hay, Id be a happy guy!!!
    That would supply me with hay for a year for the bunnies!

10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Dry.... Wet hay should not be baled. Its a fire hazard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by