Square foot per chicken question

You know more about chickens then I ever will. Most of us here are your typical "Backyard Chickens" people. There is a big difference between large flock management and keeping a few birds in your back yard. I am speaking to the back yard issue. I state again. I just don't see the reason for the angst so many people go through that can be solved by simply nailing a few boards together and stapling some wire over them. It seems that I read thread after thread of trying to justify not doing it.

I had a guy send me an article he wrote when I was asking the "sq Ft" question that all of us seem to ask. It explained it to me so clearly. There are two issues. The coup, which can be pretty darn small, but the run is a social dynamic all unto itself. The bigger the better.

I spent a good deal of time building it right. Pretty happy little flock of 8. It really bothered me when I went over yesterday and saw one of those little feed store pre fab coups they convince people are big enough. Those birds have nowhere to go or get away from a bully bird. Having to live an entire life like that just bothers me. When we take on the responsibly of an animal, any animal, it is my opinion that we do it right.

Again, big difference between people running large flocks and us little backyard types.

I have a small backyard flock. Small coop and huge runs. Winter as stated previously they have a sheltered area that effectively creates well over 100 sqft of refuge on the brutal days. All done with small coop on skids that is moved about for new forage with electric fencing all spring to late fall. I'm not commercial, not large, not even moderate in size of operation. Small backyarder that uses a management style that laughs at constant quotes of 4 sqft per bird for coop space. That is a ridiculous and far too often arbitrary quote. It means nothing. And if a person locks birds in is far too small a space; if they use run space with feed and water in it then it's far too much coop. Waste of money, time that could go to larger/better run or electric fencing. And suddenly omits the possibility of portable coop to move to new pasture. It's stated as if it's sacrosanct yet is an extremely ignorant dictate. That's what I'm saying, that's what I've always been saying, and am often called cruel to my extremely happy and grateful birds for managing this way.
:hmm

Thanks for all the responses!
Our chickens have a 33 sq ft coop in our shed, and a really big, super secure outdoor run. Their chicken door can stay open at night so they have access to the run all the time. The coop is just for roosting. Their outdoor run has a door that gets opened when we are home and they free range in our yard.....which is surrounded by a strip of tall pines that provide tons of overhead coverage.
I asked this question because we currently have 5 barred rock pullets and 3 silkies.....but I have 2-3 Ameraucana's coming and two Icelandics.....if they were going to be super crowded then I would change that order.

Back
Top Bottom