square footage for hen house

Do you recommend a nipple waterer? And I'm going to look into the heating pad method- sounds safer! Looking at new coop designs to build this summer. Hubby said we will keep the coop and use it for the spring and he'd build a larger one this summer. Takes the pressure off of us to build quickly. I'm glad he agreed to a larger coop
1f600.png

Do you recommend a nipple waterer? And I'm going to look into the heating pad method- sounds safer! Looking at new coop designs to build this summer. Hubby said we will keep the coop and use it for the spring and he'd build a larger one this summer. Takes the pressure off of us to build quickly. I'm glad he agreed to a larger coop
1f600.png

Yes! I highly recommend those too! :) I use horizontal ones and they're supposed to freeze less plus you can put the bucket down anywhere but for baby chicks I would start off with the vertical to train them. Mine had an open waterer and i just put the bucket in a week ago, at 17 weeks, and they picked it up that day, but I would say it's probably easier to start them on the nipples as babies. You can find small containers or just run a piece of PVC pipe through the brooder. It's really easy though! Just drill a hole and screw the nipples in and tap them to,show them water comes out. But some people use a regular waterer for the first couple days to a week just to be sure they get water since traveling is stressful so you could do that too. But yeah, the nipples are great and the water stays sooo clean!!! I was changing it multiple times a day before.

As for the heating pad thing, yes!! It's fantastic! :) and if you don't wanna read the whole thread, jist read the first and last pages :)

But aww that's awesome you're gonna get to build a bigger one!! :)

Someone used a plastic pitcher with horizontal nipples for babies and posted pictures on the incubating with friends thread.

Last edited:
Really? Wow that's awesome :)

Yeah i think you can use either but I had heard vertical were easier for babies, dont have to push as hard, but could be wrong. Either way works :)

Back
Top Bottom