1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Squat squat squat!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blueberrychickens, Oct 20, 2010.

1. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    I had my 1st squatter on Monday, another joined in the squat yesterday, today there are 3 doing the squat! I hope its contaigious & all 8 start doing the squat together! Can't wait for those eggs to come rollin' in!!!
    Come on everybody....SQUAT!! [​IMG]

2. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats! [​IMG]

3. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG]

4. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    YEAH!!!!! .......patience......patience.......Soon, but not instant!!......patience........[​IMG]

5. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    Ya do a left squat here,
    Ya do a right squat here,
    Ya do a left squat here and ya shake it all about!!!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    When u say they squat, do they sguat & get right up or is it more like they're chilling out?

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

"The Squat" is the submissive, ready for mounting type squat, with head down, wings slightly away from the body, sometimes even with a little foot stamping. After I give mine a couple of skritches and a pat, they get up and shake their feathers before they walk away.

It's NOT a "chilling out" type squat - it's just as you reach to touch 'em, they react by squatting. Very obvious submissive behavior.

8. HeritageHens

HeritageHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Orygun
    Quote:My Dark Brahma girl, Fiona (just changed her name from Stevie cause that just didn't fit!), has been doing this since she was about 7 weeks old - and she's only 10 weeks old now! I'm thinking she's hangin' out with the wrong crowd. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by