Squatting question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Morgan7782, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I have 5 pullets ranging in age from 3 months to 5 months. I was wondering about the squatting behavior. My head hen is a 4 month old Barred Rock, and I am expecting my 5 month old Brahma to lay first. If she begins squatting for me, will she start stopping and squatting when my Barred Rock goes to chase her? I am just curious because right now the Brahma runs from the Barred Rock and I would hope she wouldn't stop and freeze or anything to be pecked on. Thanks for any information!

To reiterate/clarify: Will my lower ranking hens stop and squat for the higher ranked girls?

2. With the abscence of a rooster in your flock, you are the rooster. The girls will squat for you but should not squat for each other. When a hen starts to squat then they are starting to reach sexual maturity. I would say that your Brahma will probably be the last one to start laying as they are really slow to mature. It is not unusual for them to go 8 to 10 months before laying their first egg.

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Oh alright cool, just wanted to make sure she wouldn't stop for the Barred Rock. Thanks for the tips!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: