Squatting while on the roost?

RanchRichey

Songster
Apr 16, 2016
I went to do my nightly rounds/health check after the chickens were in the coop and roosting for the night. When I approached one of my 21 week EEs she did the classic "squat" while still on her roost. Her comb has exploded in the past week, but I didn't really expect her to be at POL for a few more weeks, as she has (until very recently) had a tight dry vent and still has fairly close pin bones.

Has anyone else had a chicken "squat" while on the roost, and can I consider it the same as the mature ready to lay squat, or was she maybe startled etc? I usually check them nightly, and this particular pullet had a feather picking problem early on, so I routinely checked her picked areas for wounds and regrowth without problems, this was the first time she did this.

Yes, mine have squatted on roost, I'm sure that like squatting anywhere else, this is a sign of getting ready to lay.

Hooray! That would be unexpected. She squatted for me while out free ranging today too, so hopefully soon! We are leaving for vacation on Wednesday and I just know the little boogers are going to wait till we are gone to start laying
1f61c.png

Back
Top Bottom