Squatting???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TNSMITH, Aug 12, 2013.

1. TNSMITH

TNSMITH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    So I have read on here about chickens "squatting" prior to laying. I don't know what that is and am wondering. I have a Maran who is old enough to be laying and supposidly had been laying for the previous owner. I have had her for about a month and she has not laid an egg yet. However, this same chicken has been sitting in a laying box lately. In fact I went out to the coop and she was there sitting in the box. I thought maybe she had laid and was sitting on it so I shooo'd her off. No egg, but one unhappy chicken. She squaked at me like an ex-wife.

So may question is, is that squatting? Is she getting ready to lay? Also being a Newbie, can someone verify that she is a maran? I kinda wonder
    [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    "Squatting" is when a chicken crouches down, with its wings slightly spread. This often occurrs when a rooster walks up (so that he can breed her), or when a dominant member of the flock, or a person steps towards her. Chickens "squat" prior to beginning laying; the time between squatting and laying varies. My chickens usually start squatting about two weeks before laying commences, but it depends on the bird.

What your bird is doing now is probably preparing to lay. Chickens will often go into and out of a nest box a few days prior to laying, or on the day they lay.

You chicken is not a Copper Marans. She looks like an Easter Egger due to the color pattern and the pea comb.

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    That sounds like it could possibly be the start of broody behavior if she starts sleeping in the box.

It is not squatting. The squatting is actually a mating stance. It will happen when the birds are out in the yard and you walk up to them. They will stop moving and crouch down for a second like you are their rooster.

4. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    This is correct. ^ There's also the possibility that she's become broody.

5. poultrylubber

poultrylubber Chillin' With My Peeps

My pullets started squatting (The stance they take when they are accepting a rooster) when I walked by at about 18 weeks and I was so excited because I knew they would start laying soon. My pullets would go into the coop and just sit in the nest box for a while and then leave and then a couple days later they started to lay.
    I would say your chicken isn't a Maran as Marans do not have a pea comb.

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Exactly. And my girls become extremely stiff while in that position as well.

I have 6 chickens, the first one to squat was a red sex link on Aug 5th, the second to squat was a black sex link on the 8th, and I got my first egg last night ([​IMG]) Two more started squatting today, one barred rock and another black sex link. All my chickens are 17wks old

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  7. TNSMITH

TNSMITH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Help a newby out!! What are the types of combs, and what makes that one on my chicken an Pea comb. THanks for the information on the squatting. I am hoping she is getting ready to lay, I am thinking I may been dooped by the person who sold her to me. She said it was a Maran and that it was laying, I can't get it to lay and apparently it isn't a Maran.

8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I wouldn't call her head gear a pea comb. A pea comb should look like exactly that, a pea sitting on their head. She looks like she's got a straight comb mixed with something else. There are lots of different comb types: straight (or single), rose, walnut, cushion, strawberry, buttercup, pea, v and carnation. And, crazy things happen when you mix any of those together :)
    I had a Silkie/Orpington mixed rooster (so walnut x single comb) who had a comb alot like your girls, it sat up but was wavy.

9. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    She could be egg-bound.

10. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by