Squeaking duck?

Well, today my blue swedish got his big boy voice! Guess the squeak was an in-between stage. My Cayuga drake never did the squeaking but he got his full-grown voice yesterday. So interesting to watch them develop
Maybe it’s a Swedish duck thing! Mine is a Swedish as well! Thanks for the update :) are you a first time duck mom too?

I have 4 too. Straight run and ended up with 2 males and 2 females. I keep going back and forth on adding several more females or separating my flock next year for mating season. They are totally addicting and I'd love to get more of them, just not sure if it's the right thing on my current property since I'm in a suburb. Tripling the amount of quacking might not be appreciated by my neighbors 😆 someday I'll get a few acres in the country and then I'm definitely going to have a large flock 🥰

Sounds exactly like my situation right now 😅 I started with 2 Swedish and then added 2 Khaki Campbell’s about 7 weeks later. I’m finally able to tell all the genders and sadly I ended up with 1 girl and 3 boys but I am already so attached so rehoming is not an option! When is mating season for them? I didn’t know if I would need to separate my female or not and I’ve been very worried about that! I was on CL yesterday looking for more females to add and I came across a pair of females so that would give me 3 and 3 but then I came across a post of a lonely drake whose mates all died and they are looking to rehome him instead of add more ducks and the poor guy has been alone for almost a month, so now I’m debating if 7 ducks is what I want to commit to lol mine are pretty quiet for the most part (until they see me coming with veggies) but I hear females can be pretty noisy lol I have the backyard space fortunately, I just worry about the smell bothering my neighbors 😓

I'm already completely attached too. Mating season is all summer but since mine were born the week of May 10th I've heard I probably don't have to worry about it being a problem until next summer. My two females are *mostly* quiet, but they get quite loud every morning at 7am if I'm not quick enough in letting them out and getting them their breakfast 😐😆 no one's complained yet but then again I only have two 7 am quackers. Might be different if I had 6-7 of them. I have a quarter acre yard so could probably do 7 ducks comfortably but I don't want the neighbors to see me as a nuisance either

My 2 Swedish were born the week of Mother’s Day so they’re about the same age as yours! What a relief to know I don’t have to worry til next summer! So they should be fine together throughout the winter? If you don’t mind me asking, what state do you live in? I’m in CO and it’s been raining almost everyday, my ducks refuse to use their house and they just sleep in their fenced run at night but the wet straw has been such a pain to constantly clean out! What do you use for bedding, if any?

I'm in NC. I installed the roof of their coop on hinges so I can open it, so I keep it open during the day in nice weather to let the sun get in and keep the grass alive. So at the moment inside their coop is grass still, but I expect at some point they'll have turned it all into mud and then I suppose I'll start using pine shavings.

I don't know for sure that they'll be fine through the winter, like, you'll want to keep an eye on it of course and monitor for any problems/separate them if needed, but they'll be reaching adulthood toward the end of the usual mating season, so hopefully/theoretically the hormones won't start raging until next year's mating season

We started with grass and it has all turned to mud between the heavy traffic and them eating it all lol we put a layer of shavings and then a layer of straw but all the rain here lately has just made it such a pain to clean out! I let them roam the backyard during the day and I’m worried my grass is slowly going to start disappearing everywhere else 😓

Sounds exactly like my situation right now 😅 I started with 2 Swedish and then added 2 Khaki Campbell’s about 7 weeks later. I’m finally able to tell all the genders and sadly I ended up with 1 girl and 3 boys but I am already so attached so rehoming is not an option! When is mating season for them? I didn’t know if I would need to separate my female or not and I’ve been very worried about that! I was on CL yesterday looking for more females to add and I came across a pair of females so that would give me 3 and 3 but then I came across a post of a lonely drake whose mates all died and they are looking to rehome him instead of add more ducks and the poor guy has been alone for almost a month, so now I’m debating if 7 ducks is what I want to commit to lol mine are pretty quiet for the most part (until they see me coming with veggies) but I hear females can be pretty noisy lol I have the backyard space fortunately, I just worry about the smell bothering my neighbors 😓

Where in CO are you located? I may have a female Cayuga for you if you are interested.

Back
Top Bottom