Squirrel Getting Into Ducks Food!

JNC

Songster
May 5, 2020
Kendallville Indiana, US
There’s this squirrel that has been getting into my ducks food containers and eating their food. Every time I see it I try to scare it hoping it gets scared and doesn’t come back. This has been going on for a few weeks. I don’t like it coming and eating all my ducks food, their food is expensive only because they eat alot, I can’t afford to feed squirrel lol. Does anyone know how to stop the squirrel from coming or maybe even switch containers, if so which ones? Right now I use a plastic container for their food.

Squirrel used to steal kitchen scraps from our chicken run and hang them in the trees. Not any more. What worked was galvanized wire run on insulators couple of inches from the fence at the level that they were getting in through welded wire fence and connected to a fence charger. Squirrel are so fast they can pass a few times before getting zapped, but that one time is enough to making them not wanting to come even close to the run.

Not sure if your ducks are fenced or free ranging...

Try adding some cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes to the feed. Trapping and eliminating the offending rodent works too.

trapping or shooting won't prevent hungry squirrels from around to move to now vacant area with free food. Need either eliminate the access or teach those in the area to stay away.

Back
Top Bottom