squirrels feeding and drinking with my chickens

blooming silkie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
I was wondering what kind of a health risk is it for my silkies with squirrels drinking and eating out of their feeders and water? I have my babies foraging in the yard and we unfortunately have many wild birds and squirrels...my silkies are very healthy and have not shown any signs of illness or mites, lice, or any other issues.

I have squirrels, small birds and pigeons join my flock to eat frequently. They haven't caused a problem to my knowledge. I would check every so often for mites or lice. There is no really way to keep all animals away. I have squirrels breaking into my aviaries all the time :/. If you see a sickly one I would take precautions and check your birds but if they are bright and healthy I don't think you should worry to much.

I would say it is okay. I have squirrels, and all sorts of small birds eating out of my chicken's feeders. I once even had a racoon when the chickens where out...Anyways if your chickens start to look sick, I would recommened seperating them from wild animals. But if they are healthty, I wouldn't worry too much.

I agree, it is probably fine because chickens are not mammals, therefore they are not susceptible to lots of diseases that squirrels are and vice versa.

The wild birds might bring in something but that would happen whether they were eating out of your feeders or not. The chickens won't get sick from the squirrels but I'll bet you're putting out two or three times as much feed as the chickens are eating. I was astonished at how little I was using once I put the feeder where I could keep an eye on it and ran off the squirrels.

Agree with galanie. The wastage you get when feeding the wildlife gets worse and worse over time. What starts out as an amusing sight rapidly turns into a money pit. I know this because I tolerated it until my feed bill tripled. I took a more proactive approach to the rodents after that.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input everybody! I have been worried about it for some time and it is a relief to know they more then likely will be o.k...however on the feed? yes it seems to be disappearing faster with all the birds..

Back
Top Bottom