Squirrels in my coop?

uglydog

Chirping
14 Years
Jun 28, 2008
Texas
First off, alittle background. Last week I noticed my chickens being stirred by something in the middle of the day but can't find anything wrong, other than a couple of times they have been upset and out of their yard. I would just go herd them back into thier yard and shortly they would settle. Oh yeah and my rooster has been sleeping on the ground. I have lost sleep figuring I had a predator harrassing them, and going out to check them everytime time the dogs start barking. Today they were squalking and raising commotion, I went as fast as I could get across the property only to find a stupid tree rat scuttling up the tree.
Anybody else every have something similiar? Any suggestions?

I've had the same problem. The squirrels were always eating the layer pellets. I created a post about it. One person suggested to put a feeder out for just them and another simply said that a pellet gun works nicely.
Recently I've noticed that they just seem to not be around as much though.

There is enough squirrel eats scattered on the ground around my coop that they have not had to break and enter yet! Still have a mouse problem though.......grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

I read reviews that Repel-All Spray or Critter Repellent works GREAT on squirrels, as well as opossums, foxes and racoons. Those mouse repellants from Lowes or Home Depot that you plug in the wall are great for rats and roaches.

Last edited:
Will the Repel-a-sprays upset the chickens if I put it around the outide of their coop? We've got a huge squirrel who just discovered our coop.

Thanks!
Kathryn

Back
Top Bottom