Squirrels

Find where they're getting in and close their entrance. If the problem continues, trap and humanely kill them, or shoot them if it's legal in your area. Heck, feed some of the cooked meat back to your chickens as a treat.

The darn squirrels are getting in my coop daily. They have chewed the wood enough to get into my grain bin and although it appears they are not eating the chicken feed, they have eaten scratch and sunflower seeds. I now keep the seeds in the house. My question is do squirrels eat eggs? I am finding less eggs these days and saw remnants of egg contents in the pine shavings in nesting box today. 3 squirrels exited my coop.. How do i get rid of them? Thanks...

I had a squirrel kill a month old duckling. But my Roo avenged her. Poor little magpie.

The answer is hardware cloth! Heavier gage. OR, you could hang a squirrel feeder within the same area? They are looking for winter stores is all. They are delicious though! I have a 2 ft tall Barbezeux Roo with 7 hens and he keeps mine away. I let them fight it out. He will take out a field or water rat like a hawk. His name is Lieutenant Dan lol. These chickens growl like a bobcat. There is no cluck, cluck....lol.

I use a live trap baited with a peanut butter bend over, what you do with them is up to you. I have trapped 8 in one day this way, in one location (near the coop). IF relocating do check local laws first! Tree rat chili maybe!

My squirrels leave walnuts on the net on top. They haven't tried getting in the run at all. Love my squirrels, love watching them. I feed the in the winter in the front if the house, even got them a swing and a couple interactive toys.

I just saw a young squirrel go in the coop to help itself to the feed, I ran out and it shot off only to return a few minutes later.
So again I scared it away, but now it knows there is food in there I will have to remove it, but then chickens pop in there every now and again for a nibble.
If I put it in when they are going to roost they might not be getting enough as they are more interested in roosting.
I read where a lot say shoot it but I don't have a gun.

The darn squirrels are getting in my coop daily. They have chewed the wood enough to get into my grain bin and although it appears they are not eating the chicken feed, they have eaten scratch and sunflower seeds. I now keep the seeds in the house. My question is do squirrels eat eggs? I am finding less eggs these days and saw remnants of egg contents in the pine shavings in nesting box today. 3 squirrels exited my coop.. How do i get rid of them? Thanks...
We have terrible problems with squirrels in our garden (we live in the city). After a ton of research, we now use (3) methods in combination.

1) Homemade hot pepper spray. I took some spicier peppers out of my garden, blended them, strained into a bottle and then let them ferment a bit. I spray areas where they are biting daily. Mammals have capsaicin receptors, avians do not. The only issue with this method is that it is a daily thing. I spray as often as possible, sometimes twice a day. If it rains, you'll need to start over.

2) We use a pest deterrent called PlantSkydd. You can buy at most local farm/garden stores and online. It comes in various forms. We use the granulated mostly and shake it around the area the squirrels are bothering (i.e. my tomato plants!). Be aware, the liquid version is a dark rust color and will stain whatever you put it on.

3) The Squirrelinator (with basin). You will not regret this purchase. I swear we are single handily ridding the block of grey squirrels. They go in, can't get back out. The really great part is that you can catch more than one at a time without resetting the trap. Also, when the time comes to dispose of them, you simply drop the entire thing (it has handles) into the basin (filled with water). It's very quick and does the job. Note: It's temping to buy the trap without the basin because of the cost, but you can't buy the basin separately later. We ended up having to buy a kiddie pool to drop the trap into.

https://www.amazon.com/Rugged-Ranch...D=51Om%2Bsf3LjL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Lastly--get yourself some of those metal trashcans for feed. I had chipmunks straight up chew through my nice plastic bins to get to BOSS. I switched to a metal can recently and the chewing has stopped. :)

Good Luck--I have found squirrels to be the most difficult garden pests to deal with! Hang in there!

Back
Top Bottom