Squrilles in the coop

kmiller11

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 18, 2014
SE Pennsylvania
Everymorning i open the chicken coop and let my birds out, then i got to work. I get the eggs when i get home around 4, then i go back out at dusk to lock the coop up. Today i walked back a little early around 2 and there was a squrille helping themselves to the chicken food. I can't close the coop during the day because theu go back in to lay their eggs. Anyone have any suggestions? Was the aqurille just digging in the food or eating it?

I made several squirrels fat in my first coop setup. Now my coop run is fully covered. I thought about getting a big rooster to scare them off but never got a chance to test if that theory would work.

you can try a hot (electrified) wire along the top of your run if that is what they are using to get into the coop. we used one at our old house because the squirrels were using the top of the run to get over to the coop without having to touch the ground where the roosters were. It doesn't kill them just lets them know they don't get a free meal.

I find that Squirrels learn where food is and return for an easy meal.

Set a trap in the coop to eliminate the ones who have learned where the easy meal is.

I had an infestation a few years back.

Eliminated 18 before the invasion ceased.

There are still plenty of Squirrels in my yard, just none in my coop.

I wonder if this is going to be a problem for me in the future? I feed the song birds sunflower seeds and the squirrels, help themselves I usually put some out for them. If they start going in the coop, I will have a problem with that. I never, feed them in the run except for treats. Thanks for posting this. it gives me a something to look out for.

Be aware that if they have become dependant on your songbird food, and you stop the supply, they will look for another source for survival.

I was unaware that my squirrel population exploded due to my unintentional food supply.

I still see squirrels daily, but haven't trapped one in my coop in at least 18 months.

I find that Squirrels learn where food is and return for an easy meal.

Set a trap in the coop to eliminate the ones who have learned where the easy meal is.

I had an infestation a few years back.

Eliminated 18 before the invasion ceased.

There are still plenty of Squirrels in my yard, just none in my coop.
Which trap do you use for squirrels? I have a small one that came with the one I got to trap raccoons, will that be the one?
Do the chickens try to mess with it?

Which trap do you use for squirrels? I have a small one that came with the one I got to trap raccoons, will that be the one?
Do the chickens try to mess with it?

I use a Havahart Squirrel Trap ...

I placed it on top of the nesting boxes and baited it with corn.

Still there, only no signs that squirrels have been in my coop in over 18 months now.

The chickens don't bother it, but ocasionally one will set it off by trying to roost on it.

Thanks a lot for the info. I see squirrels around my roosters pen so I think it is a matter of time for them to try to get in to eat the feed in their run so I want to be prepared. I read the reviews on the link you sent me and it appears that the trap is too small for them so they recommend to use a bigger one. I guess everybody's experiences varies.

Back
Top Bottom