St. John's Wort

Pics
Unless the sling is in the chicken tractor, we would...because otherwise she'd be a target for predators. But the tractor will be free soon, so we're thinking about making the sling. She's not doing all that well though. She does have a little better use of her legs; my husband was trying water therapy with her when we were giving her bath yesterday...which actually did seem to help a little. Thanks again for the well wishes.
smile.png

St Johns wort is a toxic plant and causes irreversible liver damage to all livestock species... just sayin'.

St Johns wort is a toxic plant and causes irreversible liver damage to all livestock species... just sayin'.
Don't worry about it too much - most of them are using homeopathic stuff that doesn't contain any actual St. Johns Wort - or anything else for that matter.

Not only does it indicate that Hypericum contains SJW, it also references toxicity of SJW in large doses. Although it mentions toxicity in some livestock, poulttry are not included.

Last edited:
Tried the Hypericum treatment last night on a young hen who just began exhibiting symptoms of Marek's. She could not walk and didn't try. We have had ongoing problems after buying a number of pullets from a "registered" seller. LOL Anyway, I isolated her and put her in the hospital with another hen with Marek's, gave both the treatment and upon inspection this morning the "no walker" was up and moving around normally. I am ecstatic. The other hen still exhibits symptoms but I'll continue medicating her. Thank you for this invaluable information.

Everything is toxic in the right dosage. Just sayin'.

If you go back through the thread you will find scientific research I posted on the proven medical benefits of St John's Wort. All consumption of SJW does NOT automatically equal 'irreversible liver damage' - it's a commonly propagated myth, though.

Best wishes.

@CrazyTalk ... I know it's another popular myth that homeopathic formulas contain nothing, but they do, just in very, very tiny doses. Granted, some really unscrupulous sorts likely sell water in a bottle LOL.

Back
Top Bottom