St. John's Wort

Pics
I have never had Mareks in my flocks but recently lost two chicks each about 2 weeks apart due to paralysis. They were about 6 weeks old. I am suspecting Mareks. My question is these chicks are isolated in a brooder with other chicks. If it is Mareks then the other chicks are exposed and if they don't contract the disease they will be carriers so when these chicks get put in with their prospective flocks will they expose the whole flock? Should all the chicks in this brooder be put down so as not to expose my healthy flocks? I realize it is carried in dirt and chicken dander but if I isolate it to the brooder and don't put the chicks with others can I minimize losses of in my very expensive breeding flocks? Hoping it's not Mareks but want to be prepared if more of these chicks show the same signs.

I have 9, 10 week old Silkies coming down with what I think is Mareks. The first one I found dead in the brooder. At first I thought she had just been suffocated by the other chicks in the "pile". I had turned off the heat lamp cause I thought they were old enough to keep warm by themselves. (they are in the basement brooder) Turned the lamp back on. Next day another one was down but not dead. I brought her upstairs and started giving water with a dropper. She got a little worse, then started getting better. Next day another one was down, but not as bad as the 2nd one. Brought her upstairs, same thing. this am, 3rd day, no one else down. This pm after work, another one down. I had read this thread this past week-end, and got some St John's Wort on the way home from work. I have dosed all 3 birds and will continue the treatment to see what happens. They are all pretty much back on their feet.

Will let you know what happens. I have a breeding pair of Crele Polish down there, and 2 male BL Polish. The Silkies were hatched by me, and have not been outside yet. none of these birds were vaccinated.

I also have, upstirs in a brooder, 9, 1 and 2 week old Crele Polish. I am giving them a diluted dose of St J in their drinking water. Can't hurt right?

Sorry this is happening, and I have read this before too, please let us know how they are doing and if you think the St.Johns wort is helping. and sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

i think my 5 year silkie rooster may have marek's
hmm.png
he's having a lot of trouble walking. he contantly sits back on his hocks. he has trouble curling his toes and bending his legs. when he does stand, his legs tremble. it's either marek's or a nutritional deficiency, i don't know enough about either to tell. any help would be welcome an i'm very glad to know there is a cure for marek's!

5 years old is very unusual for onset of Marek's. Or a nutritional deficiency. If they are on a quality commerical diet (not just scratch ect)- nutritional deficiency is unlikely- these are more common in growing birds. Marek's usually shows up before 1 year old, most commonly at 3-5 mo. Do your bird's feet and hocks look normal? Scaly leg mites? Bumble foot? Mycoplasma g & s can affect joints as well- this CAN be tested for in a living bird. . IMO there is no cure for Mareks' unfortunately- if can be more chronic in some individuals than others, and the symptoms may wax and wane- but in general- if they show symptoms, the disease is terminal. If you have a limping bird that gets better with time or medications- it probably wasn't Marek's. Definitive diagnosis is based on histopathology.

Quote:

Well, 2 out of my 3 sick chicks seem to have recovered. The 3rd one died yesterday, but I really think it was because I had to go to work and couldn't be home to hydrate her. She had been improving over the week-end. I also got some garlic on the way home from work the other day and put a crushed clove in everyones water. I read on here that it is a good immune booster.

The 2 recovered chicks are eating like pigs and are active and moving around normally.

Thank you.We have lost alot of loved chickens to mareks.Now there is something that can tackle,or supress,or put into remission.
Ill buy some st johns wort at the heathy store here in Rock Hill.We lost caluah this year due to mareks.Many others last year due to that too.We dont lose chickens to anything else it seems.

Back
Top Bottom