St. Pete, FL no roosters...ducks...noise ordinance in place...then why sell them?

LBP1313

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 16, 2012
St Petersburg, FL
When our 20 year old daughter came home from a pet store with a baby duckling and chick she almost had to find a new home herself...but I quickly became attached. The pet store said we had a white pekin duck and a white leghorn hen. They were about a week old. They immediately became a part of our family and took pride in caring for them as if they were infant humans. As they grew they developed their own unique personalities and really started to know us. We taught Henry the duck to swim in the bathtub. Ralphie, our hen was never far from Henry. By about eight weeks Ralphie let out a cockcdoodle doo and we knew our hen was a rooster. We soon learned about the noise ordinance in this city. We talked with the neighbors and began a search for their new home.

Today we drove our beautiful pet duck Henry and our handsome pet Ralph the rooster to their new home an hour and ten minutes away...and I am heartbroken. These birds were as sweet as my three cats and dog. I didn't know ducks and roosters like to cuddle with humans. I have 1200 or more pictures and videos to remember the brief time they shared their lives with us and am grateful that they have the perfect home, but I miss them and I know they miss us.

Please tell me how can a pet store sell animals when the city they are selling them in has an ordinance against them? I plan to go to the store manager and give him a piece of my mind... But I also want to report him for selling animals that can't be raised here.

I am an adult that became emotionally attached to these animals....something I never thought I, as a city girl, could ever do. If someone buys a chick (possibly a rooster) and/or a duck as a pet for a young child from this store only to have code enforcement ring their doorbell to tell the parents they are in violation of a city code....how do those parents explain to their child that they have to get rid of their precious pet?

I am looking for feedback on how I should go about dealing with this pet store please.

Thanks, Brokenhearted

welcome-byc.gif
from California, we have a no rooster policy in city limits too, I have had to re-home roosters too. No fun.

Greetings from Kansas, LBP1313, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you here! Yes, that does seem silly to sell animals the city doesn't allow! The only reason I can think is that if it is pet store chain - sometimes these stores sell all the same stock no matter their location. Makes no sense!!

What makes it so bad is it wasn't a feed store...it was a pet store. I could understand a feed store selling chickens, etc...but a pet store....selling these precious things to families who love and adore them and treat them like one of their own.....These pet stores should not be permitted to sell animals that can not be raised in the city in which they are sold.

That is where I get so upset. Sell them in stores in cities or counties where they can be raised and sell other animals here. Thanks for the link. I will check into that because if I can change something...believe me I will.

Oops, sorry! You did say pet store. I missed that bit. And yes, you would think they'd know better... I do hope you get this sorted. Stop it happening to another family.

That is my hope. I am heartbroken and miss my pets very much! I will not stop until I get some sort of resolution that this will not happen again. This pet store does not know what they are up against. I am a social worker advocating for people's rights every day. This is no different. My heart breaks for my duck and my rooster....they were so happy and loved us as much as we loved them....they don't know what happen...except that we weren't there this morning to feed them and play with them. At least the new owner contacted me at 6:05 AM to tell me how adorable they were and that they were adjusting to their new environment. That makes me happy, but I want them back. Never in a million years would I have guessed you could become so attached to a duck and a rooster!!

I'm glad to hear they are happy. Finding a good home for a rooster can be tricky.
When I fist got chickens I didn't want pets. I just liked the thought of some eggs and having the hens around, make the place look more like a farm. Then I fell in love with them and now I can't imagine life without my feathered friends. They do get under your skin. And quickly!
I know nothing will take the place of those two, but what's the ordinances in your city like regarding hens? Maybe you can get some hens instead?

And the story goes on....We tried to visit our duck and rooster after the first of the year to no avail. It was a vey emotional January thinking something mus have happened to them because of getting no response...finally at the end of the month my daughter got a message from the new owners that they were give Henry and ralph away and if we wanted to move them closer we could come pick them up..and so we did. I was amazed at their memories...They knew us immediately...it was if they had never been away...but on the first full day of having them back Ralph crowed all day...I knew immediately this arrangement would not work...We found a wonderful home for Ralph...yes we had to separate them...but we are keeping Henry the White Crested...but we didn't want him (I think he is a she because at five months there is still no curl to the tail feather) so we got two baby white pekins....Henry is not very nice to them so we keep them separated but next to each other, Henry watches them constantly. We take them out to play regularly and Henry nips at their wings and won't let them near his water, I am hoping they will eventually get along The reason for getting the other ducklings was so Henry would have a playmate...he got along so well with the rooster but they were raised together from week one,, Do you think Henry will ever get along with the ducklings? I am so happy to have him home but if he would be better off by himself, I will find a new home for the ducklings to keep him happy (and before I get too attached to the babies).

Hi and welcome back to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

It always takes some time for birds to get used to each other. You may need to keep them separate until the youngsters are closer to Henry's size and can stand up for themselves a little better. Remember, Henry is used to chickens, not other ducks, and he/she may not quite know what to think about them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom