~STABLE CHICKENS: WHAT BREED???~

Quote:
Thats what I thought.

I think the dark one is chicken cross and the white one a leghorn cross.

chicken cross with what....
tongue.png

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help. I have been clueless as to which breed they are.
big_smile.png

So most of you say that the rooster could be leghorn cross, and the hen has some black cornish in her.

I know about the mites on their legs. Thanks anyway. I've been putting this stuff on their legs that the vet prescribed.

The hen is sitting on a batch of eggs at the moment. Hopefully they will hatch and then I will send in pictures.

Thanks again. I appreciate all your help.
smile.png

... cute pics...

and not to be critical... perhaps you are growing coy in that pool, but it looks like it could use some chlorine.
thumbsup.gif

A cheap fix to leg mites is putting vasaline on their legs. The mites cannot breathe and they die. I have heard of people dipping them in motor oil too. Not so sure that way is the best.

Motor oil, Vaseline, WD-40, Adams Flea and Tick Spray (my personal preference) and Vaseline are all good ways of getting rid of scaley leg mites.

The trick is to smother the mites.

Just an odd question, but does that male attack you when you go outside or are not looking?

Looks like a Leghorn roo to me too....I think I see white ears there. Hope he is nicer than the one I had. The first roo I ever had, he was a mean sucker...chased kids down the block!

Made great soup.

The rooster looks like many Game Birds I have had. The hen looks like maybe a Bantam Dark Cornish crossed with an Astralorp. I say Bantam because of the super short legs. Standard Cornish don't look like that, but Bantams do. As for treating the mite. Rub Vaseline on their legs to smother the mites.

You should not use vaseline or any oil on her legs while she is sitting on eggs! she will get it on the eggs and clog the pores in the egg. I dont really see any cornish in the hen, I think her legs look thick from the mite problem.

Back
Top Bottom