Stacking straw bales around coop for winter?

CuriousBeaks

Songster
Feb 18, 2021
Virginia, USA, Midgard
My coop is not good for winter weather at all right now, so I'm starting to think about winter-proofing. I read somewhere that you can stack straw bales around the outside of the coop for some insulation, but I was wondering if the straw would mold, since it would be directly on the ground and not under shelter. Any thoughts?

My coop is not good for winter weather at all right now, so I'm starting to think about winter-proofing. I read somewhere that you can stack straw bales around the outside of the coop for some insulation, but I was wondering if the straw would mold, since it would be directly on the ground and not under shelter. Any thoughts?
Can you post pictures of your coop? You don't need any form of insulation in VA. I'm in NY and have no insulation.
What you need is lots of ventilation and to keep the coop DRY. The birds keep themselves warm by fluffing up their feathers.

What part of Virginia? (The link in your profile goes to Alabama).

How cold do your winters get and do you get measurable snow?
I live in southern VA, near the border with NC. Apparently the "Midgard" confuses computers, it sent me to Columbus, OH. 😆

I've only been here for one winter, but in my experience(and according to the internet), we almost never get below the late teens. Last winter I think the lowest temps were like 17 degrees Fahrenheit. We did have one snow in February that had about 2-3 inches of accumulation, and a couple little snows where there wasn't any accumulation.

My coop is not really good for anything, because non-chicken-owning relatives gave it to my family as a gift. The predator-proof-ness is probably bad, but the main thing I don't like about it for winter is the ventilation. Here are pics of some of the issues:
image.jpg

^so this is one of the worst parts. This door has about 1/4 inch cracks around it, and a window in the middle which is right at head level with the hens. Not ideal. I don't really know what I'm going to do with the crack around it, but I'm definitely going to have to cover that window.
image.jpg

^this is the sliding door from the coop into the run. Dirt gets in the track that it slides on and makes it so there is a small crack where it can't close all the way. This shouldn't be too hard to fix. Ignore the mess that someone made by backing up and pooping directly onto the wall. Ughhh.
image.jpg

I know this is hard to see, but these are the small cracks where the nest box lid hinges from. Mildly irritating, but not unfixable.
image.jpg

And this is the whole coop and run. Not the best, I know.

Oh, and I also have to get some better perches in there.

Any ideas for closing cracks?

Also, when I cover the window, I will get a hole drilling thing and add a bunch of ventilation holes up near the roof of the coop.

I live in southern VA, near the border with NC. Apparently the "Midgard" confuses computers, it sent me to Columbus, OH. 😆
:gig
Might want to change your location verbiage then ;)

I wouldn't worry about small cracks, unless they are leaking water.
Those tiny cops are very hard to properly ventilate(which is way more important than 'holding heat').

Back
Top Bottom