Staggered hatch, I'm confused and need advice about lots of things!

I would try at dusk or dawn and just habf out a bit nearby to listen for alarm cheeps. Let them cheep as they are brought down so the broody can get used to their voices before actually receiving them
I'll wait until very late in the afternoon to give them to her. I have a chick killer so I'd rather give them to her and see her reaction before dark. If she's ok with them then I will move her and the chicks tomorrow morning to a more "private" area. This hen hates and kills her own chicks, but won't get in another hens nest to kill, so if she accepts them all will be good. :lol:

No, my Sadie is a "first time Mom" and is currently sitting on fake eggs. I'm hoping she will be a good mommy! She has been nice to me while sitting on her eggs, doesn't hiss or get nasty. She lets me pet her and I'm hoping that's a good sign. What that has to do with loving chicks. . . nothin! :lol:
Oh, I just meant if you add more chicks a day later.

Be watchful if she already has chicks, because she will know who the intruders are! I had a failed attempt one time when I added a chick of a different color, so I tried again with a same color chick and it worked.

Maybe some hens care more than others? My Cochin only had dark chicks but she took two bright yellow/red chicks with no problem. I would definitely move them though on their own

Maybe some hens care more than others? My Cochin only had dark chicks but she took two bright yellow/red chicks with no problem. I would definitely move them though on their own
Yes, if Sadie accepts the chicks I will move them tomorrow morning to a nest box on the floor in another less used coop. (only 10 chickens as opposed to 34 chickens) I haven't had any luck moving a broody hen so I wait until the chicks are here and move them all. Good Mom's will go with "their" chicks anywhere, so that always works for me! Fingers crossed. :fl

Yes, if Sadie accepts the chicks I will move them tomorrow morning to a nest box on the floor in another less used coop. (only 10 chickens as opposed to 34 chickens) I haven't had any luck moving a broody hen so I wait until the chicks are here and move them all. Good Mom's will go with "their" chicks anywhere, so that always works for me! Fingers crossed. :fl
Just be careful of those 10 chickens in the other coop. The best spot would be somewhere mama can be alone with the chicks until they learn to obey her. Then she can introduce them to the rest of the flock.

Just be careful of those 10 chickens in the other coop. The best spot would be somewhere mama can be alone with the chicks until they learn to obey her. Then she can introduce them to the rest of the flock.
Of the 10 chickens in the coop, 5 of them are 8 week old chicks themselves and the others are the ones that "moved" out of the crowded coop on their own. I do have a 3rd "coop" that is actually a big 7x10' bird cage. I have a floor nest in there and maybe it best she go with the chicks into that coop instead. It has a ramp with a huge run attached, so she can take the chicks out when she thinks they are ready. The other chickens have access to that same run as well. I will think it through before I need to do anything. You may be right.

Of the 10 chickens in the coop, 5 of them are 8 week old chicks themselves and the others are the ones that "moved" out of the crowded coop on their own. I do have a 3rd "coop" that is actually a big 7x10' bird cage. I have a floor nest in there and maybe it best she go with the chicks into that coop instead. It has a ramp with a huge run attached, so she can take the chicks out when she thinks they are ready. The other chickens have access to that same run as well. I will think it through before I need to do anything. You may be right.
Oh, well there is always something! Makes poultry raising interesting. ;)

With a ramp, you will have issues with the chicks getting down but not back up. But don’t worry. You and she will work it out one way or another. Just yesterday I was running around changing things and moving birds around trying to figure out my own situation. Lol, it never ends!

Oh, well there is always something! Makes poultry raising interesting. ;)

With a ramp, you will have issues with the chicks getting down but not back up. But don’t worry. You and she will work it out one way or another. Just yesterday I was running around changing things and moving birds around trying to figure out my own situation. Lol, it never ends!
If Sadie accepts the chicks and seems to be a good mother, I don't have to worry. My Maggie has hatched numerous bunches of chicks and she taught me the drill. First two days in the nest. Third day out of the nest to coop floor and she teaches them what and where to eat. About the fifth day she takes them down the ramp and spends time in the run, and she teaches them how to get back up the ramp as well. I've watched many times thinking the chicks were never going to figure it out. That I would have to step in and rescue them but they do learn and get back up. Once they learn that it's all downhill! All day in the run and then into the coop at night. I can't wait for Sadie to do the work for me! I took the hatchlings out of the incubator because the humidity is high and they weren't drying out. I'll give them to Sadie in a couple of hours! Wish me (and Sadie) luck! :fl

Incubator 6 chicks.jpg

Back
Top Bottom