Staggered hatch: introducing babies to mamma hen

Nicky S

Songster
May 30, 2021
Southern CT
We had a broody who stole a bunch of extra dates and ended up with a very staggered hatch. One baby hatched with mamma March 6, and they are doing really well. Mamma is super attentive, protective and showing baby everything. This morning March 16 we had a chick successfully hatch in the incubator, and they are still fluffing up there now. I would love this baby to be able to join the other chick and mamma when they are dry…can I do this? What are the dangers? It’s been a stressful hatching experience and I would hate to lose the baby now, but watching the other baby with mamma is priceless and I’d love for this one to have the same experience. Still another 4 or so to go, so not sure how that would work. Many thanks!

If there were a bunch of chicks then you may be able to slip an incubator chick into the hen's clutch. Hens aren't very good at counting. But, with only two and of such different ages it probably won't work.

Last edited:
If there were a bunch of chicks then you may be able to slip an incubator chick into the hen's clutch. Hens aren't very good at counting. But, with only two and of such different ages it probably won't work.
Ok, thank you - the whole thing has been very messy, and I was worried about the age difference there. I hadn’t considered the low number being an issue, but I can see why that would affect.

Back
Top Bottom