staggered hatch with broody

Josip

Crowing
Sep 20, 2019
Croatia
So i have had 2 broody hens. First one breaks most of hers eggs and other almost all od other broody hens eggs. Dont know why .. they have each their box.. so from first brood only 3 left on day 7 and then she get up and breeks eggs and stop being broody . my other broody was on day 10 with only 2 eggs remain but she continue being broody . So i put 3 from first to her.. today is day 15 for first 3 eggs and day 18 for 2 hers eggs. All eggs develop good. What should i do when first 2 hatch?

The broody will still sit on eggs for a few more days after first hatch. If she leaves the nest before they all hatch, put the eggs under a heat lamp. They will hatch. Then bring the new chicks to the broody at night. Sneak them under her and see if she accepts them.

The broody will still sit on eggs for a few more days after first hatch. If she leaves the nest before they all hatch, put the eggs under a heat lamp. They will hatch. Then bring the new chicks to the broody at night. Sneak them under her and see if she accepts them.
Thanks, the eggs are 3 days apart

Thanks, the eggs are 3 days apart
Did it work? I have a hen on 3 eggs due to hatch today/tomorrow and 2-3 eggs won’t hatch for maybe 3-4 days. Three other eggs are Marans so it’s almost impossible to candle accurately so they can be anywhere in the timeline. I’m hoping she sits till they’re all hatched so I’m wondering how yours did.

Back
Top Bottom