Staggered Hatch

Celestial18

Chirping
Apr 3, 2022
One of my incubators died and I had to throw in my eggs with another. They are about 3 days of "lock down" apart. What is the best humidity level to keep the later ones from drowning but to help the early ones to hatching? Perfect temperature? Thank you all. Anxious about this.

I didn't think temperature needed to change for lockdown.

3 days one way or the other shouldn't be a big deal for humidity.
You could run it a little drier than usual in the time before lockdown, then bump up the humidity for lockdown.

The younger ones should be fine if you quit turning them a few days early, so no need to fuss with trying to turn them during lockdown of the older batch.

Of course you could buy another incubator. Depending on how quickly you get it, and how soon they are due to hatch, you might not have to hatch both batches in one incubator anyway.

I didn't think temperature needed to change for lockdown.

3 days one way or the other shouldn't be a big deal for humidity.
You could run it a little drier than usual in the time before lockdown, then bump up the humidity for lockdown.

The younger ones should be fine if you quit turning them a few days early, so no need to fuss with trying to turn them during lockdown of the older batch.

Of course you could buy another incubator. Depending on how quickly you get it, and how soon they are due to hatch, you might not have to hatch both batches in one incubator anyway.
Thank you. I kept reading horror stories about having a higher chance of death, but I'll wait a day for lock down, the rest will be going to lockdown a day or 2 early. It'll workout I think. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom