staggered hatch??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by henney penny, Dec 16, 2011.

1. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    How do you do a staggered hatch? I f you have eggs that will hatch two weeks before the others and you have to raise the humidity that last three days for the first hatch will that do something to that later eggs?And what about turning the later eggs in lock down you are not suppose to open the incubator.So you would not be able to use a turner would you? Oh so many questions.LOL

2. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    I use two LG incubators one for incubating and one for a hatcher.

3. billiejo21

billiejo21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Quote:x2 I'm getting a cabinet incubator, but will probably still use my LG for hatching!

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    You really need two incubators, one to incubate in and one to hatch in if you are doing staggered hatches. I use a cabinet incubator to incubate in and my LG and Hova-Bator styrofoam incubators as hatchers. I do staggered hatches. I usually have a hatch weekly. My hatch rates are 95% to 100%. Right now my incubator is on vacation for the holidays but I will be firing it back up soon.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  5. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    x2 about the second setup. Ive got an LG I use for pre warming the eggs, an incubator, and a hatcher.

6. Chicken Crazy12

Chicken Crazy12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    If you have a really nice incubator and want to send the eggs to a hatcher incubator that is not as great as your main incubator at keeping consistant temps will this effect the eggs come time to hatch since they have had very consistant temps up untill that point?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by