Staggered hatch!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cara, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I had two broody Buff Orpingtons which were in the coop with my other Buffs; the others kept laying eggs on top of them so their nests had eggs of all different stages of development! When checking on one of them two weeks ago I found two chicks under her, so I decided it was time to take the eggs and put them in the incubator since they would all hatch at different times and the chicks might starve. I wasn't expecting much, but I figured it was worth a try to save some as I have my Buffs sold before they even hatch these days and I wanted to build my flock back up. They had 32 eggs between them, and I have had eggs hatch every day since I brought them in! So far I am up to 21 chicks!! Some days we've had 5 chicks hatch, and I only have 5 hens including the broodies. The chicks look a lot bigger and healthier than incubator-grown ones, and hatch a lot easier. One minute they've pipped, the next they're out! I think the bloom on the eggs must help them hatch.

2. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    [​IMG] Number 25 just hatched

3. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Congratulations!!!![​IMG]

4. bearz

bearz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Wow! Thats amazing. I'm sitting on 23 eggs in the hatcher, 4 out, a bunch more trying all day. Poor things must be exhausted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by