1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Stained eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by punkrockchickenmama, Jun 23, 2010.

1. punkrockchickenmama

punkrockchickenmama In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    My 3 hens are temporarily in a doghouse in our shed while we finish the coop. There is no nestbox, they lay in the doghouse.

Normally I am able to check on them several times a day, let them run around the shed, etc. But Monday I had hand surgery. Yesterday I could only check on them once. Their eggs were under some bedding and had poop on them. Two of the shells have brown stains on them. Are these safe to eat or not? I'm new to this and just curious.

Thanks!

2. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Songster

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    They're fine, as long as the shell wasn't broken.

3. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Songster

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I would quess to say that the staining is just extra dark brown spots on the eggs. Can't really tell with out pictures. and yes they are ok to eat.

4. damselfish

damselfish Songster

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    If poop sits on them, it will stain them. They should still be fine to eat as the above posters have said.

When I have those, I wash them and then use them in something very, very well cooked (think baked goods). Not because I think there's something wrong with the inside, but because there still could have been contamination on the outside that gets in when I crack them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by