Stall dry? Is it safe?

I also haven't been able to find the food grade DE in my area either.

My farm store does have the ag lime stuff though.
What I really need is something that will help the dirt smell better. I don't have any poop laying around really and my coop has shavings which work great!

Thanks for all the great opinions everyone.

HI all!!! I'm a newbie here......just got year old hens last night and we are having a ball!!! Of the 6 hens we have, we got 5 eggs today. Our 5 year old can hardly stand it!!!

I purchased Stall dry yesterday at our local TSC store (and here is the link from TSC to see if you have a store nearby.... http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreByStateView?storeId=10551&catalogId=10001
I
talked to a salesman and he said it is perfectly safe for chickens....and there is a picture of a chicken on the front. He did say that they stock it regularly, at least at our store, but it goes fast this time of year. I got 2 bags of it...just in case!!!!
wink.png
And it was a bit over $9 for 26 lbs.

Although it does not state that it is food grade, it does state that when using it for Food or Industrial use, to use care to not contaminate food during the application of Stall Dry. Now I am taking that as it is safe....just don't 'dump' it into food.....
hmm.png
Is anyone else getting the same idea?

The website is www.wicp.com The site even has a link to the OSHA Hazard risk paper. It only contains DE and granulated clay.

Like I said, I am a newbie, but I don't see where this is unsafe??....What do you guys think?

~Amy

Here is a website for the PERMA GUARD Food Grade DE.

I just ordered another 50# bag last PM and then saw these posts today and thought I'd post the info again. Fran Tully is the woman I've dealt with and she has done a great job!

I order 50lb at a time from FreshwaterOrganics.com and it's 64.00. That price INCLUDES shipping and it ships it promptly.
This is my 3rd bag and I'm very happy with the service and shipping. They do have smaller sizes and also carry it in jars for personal use.

Here is the link for the MSDS for the pool DE...........what's the difference????

http://www.poolpro.com.au/files/msds/DiatomaceousEarth.pdf

As someone else on the forum had mentioned, is there really a difference?

Just curious??
hmm.png

And someone else had mentioned that food grade DE is WAAAYYYY more expensive than the 'other' DE. According to the link from above from the Peaceful Valley website, their's is only $8 more than the Stall Dry. You are paying $20 for shipping.......

~Amy

Last edited:
I'm not planning on using pool DE.......but according to the hazard 'triangle' it is exactly the same as the food grade DE......and the triangle is the only difference between food grade DE and stall dry..............so why is the stall dry inferior to the 'food grade' DE??????

Back
Top Bottom