Standard cochins from Ideal hatchery

So far we've lost both Sebrights, 3 Cochins, and one of the Barred Rock extras isn't doing well. Ideal also left out a Cochin. The rest are thriving though, and we've placed another order to make up for losses since they won't reship just 6. They'll ship on the 27th and the weather should be better and should arrive on time. We've ordered more extras this time: 8 assorted Sebrights and 5 Cochins. We had to order from Ideal again because they have what we want the soonest. We need as close to the same age as possible. When we call tomorrow we're going to ask if they could include our losses in the next order and then we'll have a better chance. Wish us luck!
1f643.png

Last edited:
I had a order for orientals coming from Ideal next week and I asked them if they had any self blue and blue cochins available and they had just a few..Yah! So I've asked them to put 2 pullets of each color in. I've been dying to get hold of self blues.

I had a order for orientals coming from Ideal next week and I asked them if they had any self blue and blue cochins available and they had just a few..Yah! So I've asked them to put 2 pullets of each color in. I've been dying to get hold of self blues.

I love self blues too. When I had my big chick loss back in September there were two self blue OEGBs in there and both died
hit.gif

I have 35 assorted bantams shipping tomorrow. I am a sucker for discount grab bags of chicks! I need to unsubscribe from their weekly special emails. I will be officially out of brooder space though, so that will help.

I love self blues too. When I had my big chick loss back in September there were two self blue OEGBs in there and both died
hit.gif

I have 35 assorted bantams shipping tomorrow. I am a sucker for discount grab bags of chicks! I need to unsubscribe from their weekly special emails. I will be officially out of brooder space though, so that will help.
LOL!! every time I get the email I go straight there and look over the chicks. It's really hard not ordering 25+ of some of them but my husband would be having a cow. He's tolerant, but only so much
lol.png

sorry about the self blue oegb's.

I find its easier to ask for forgiveness lol. I'm a bit worried right now though because they are supposed to ship today and they haven't even charged my card. Last time they charged me and sent me a " your chicks have shipped" email Tuesday evening.

My chicks come from our local feed store, the order through Ideal. I got 5 of the eight I ordered so far. Two buffs, one white( I ordered 2 but one died in transit) and two gold laced. The two silver laced I ordered were not shipped but after calling them they will be delivered the end of this week.

Thought it's about time to update the pictures. The cochins have grown, a lot! They are larger already than 5month old standard sultans. I've reevaluated the best and worst of them. The silver laced are terrible. They look like slightly feather footed wyandottes. I'm not sure what Ideal did to the partridges but they are very shy compared to the others. The barred remain the best in appearance and cochin sweetness.

I also placed a later order with 2 blue and 2 self blue pullets. They are younger than the originals by about 1.5months. The self blues so far are my absolute favorites. The blues are shy where the self blues are sweet and not as shy. they appear to have nicely feather feet too.

So although none of these cochins are NOT show worthy, they are nice back yard chickens if that's what you are after. With more work and mealworms I'm sure I can turn even the partridges around.
phone 383.jpg

(feather legged cuckoo maran from Ideal)I think she has 3 feathers on each foot
phone 384.jpg

phone 386.jpg

Silver and gold laced standard cochins
phone 388.jpg

barred rooster standard cochin (he's #1 in my book)
phone 396.jpg

barred cochin pullet standard
phone 397.jpg

partridge standard cochin (terrible)
phone 411.jpg

Blue and self blue standard cochin pullets (ignore the serama and sultan)
phone 412.jpg

She's my favorite in color and personality
phone 413.jpg

Hi i'm wanting to order some self blues and wanted to see if you had any resent pictures of your hen just to see the quality on them?

Back
Top Bottom