standard of perfection

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by minister man, Aug 21, 2011.

1. minister man

minister man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    New Brunswick
    I don't really want to sound cheap but................ I don't want to buy a standard of perfection for the one breed that I am raising for production first and standards second. I want to make sure that nothing that would disqualify the birds would enter my breeding pens, although the necessary points don't have to be perfect in them.

Does anyone know if the standard for Silver Spangled Hamburgs is available on line anywhere?

How much does the standard change? If I were able to find an old copy of the book online or at a yard sale or something would it be any good? How old would be too old? Thanks

2. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    My standard is MIA right now, so I've been using the standard on the ABC site. Its kind of a bare bones standard, but a standard none the less. Most breed clubs have the standard on their websites.

3. edgarmongold

edgarmongold Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Go to your local library and check it out.

If they do not have a copy they can order one for you.

4. minister man

minister man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    New Brunswick
    What is the reason that they keep publishing new Standards? Do the standards for a breed keep changing, or do they keep adding more breeds and colours?
    How old of one is too old to be bothered with? I only raise hamburgs and silkies

5. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
  6. gallorojo

gallorojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Southfarthing
    I have a 1983 standard, it still works fine. You can get ones that old pretty cheap online. Really old ones are expensive, so are new ones.

7. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Quote:Many of the clubs also have website where they will put the Standard for the breed up.

The thing to remember is that there is so much more than just the standard description including color that is listed and important. There are pages of disqualifications as well as pages of defects. Also there is an excellent glossary and pictures of feathers.

I really would suggest you buying one; as gallo said you can get one that is not that expensive.

The APA always sold Black and White copies too that were less than half the cost of the color Standard. I guess they still do. Personally, I like the Black and White the best because of the excellent drawings. The drawings are far better than the paintings.... imo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by