Standard Old English Games

20180729_125655-jpg.1485461

20180619_192358-jpg.1485467

Grabbing them to take the picture is a great idea. :) I never thought of that. Also the leg color on mine are the same as on yours... whereas the brown leghorns have legs that are more yellowish. (not much but noticeable). I wonder why mine has so much black on his head? By the leg color "he" is a SDW, and not a Brown Leghorn. I also wonder why they are called "Brown Leghorns"? They are so much closer to black than to brown.

They call them brown leghorns because the hens are brown (wildtype color). The color is the sames as BBR in Games, aka wild type color. Brown leghorns have yellow legs so that is fine. Standard old english game are supposed to be white legged. American Games differ from OEG and can be green, white, yellow, blue, or black legged depending on the line they are out of. They can also come pea combed where as OEG should be straight combed.

SDW cockerels can have a lot of black on them until they get their mature feathers in. Right now they youngsters have juvenile feathers. I have a smaller cockerel and he has a lot more black. The older they get the more the silver comes in until they mature.

Here is a pen of black breasted reds (BBR). The brown leghorns will be colored like these. Same colors, just a different breed.

20180726_171524.jpg

Pardon this next picture. It was taken before the cock bird molted his tail back in.

20180527_113548.jpg

There are other subtle differences that can keep American Games from competing. My favorite burn is lemon hackle coloration that gets me DQ'ed every time. Most Red Jungle Fowl look more like my American Games than the Standard Old English Games that are considered by SOP to be wild-type BBR.

Then there is the business of ginger.

I have some actual standard Old English Games that Im going to show, but most of our Games are American and dont fit the Old English Standard.
I take the American Games in anyway knowing full well they will be DQ'ed. I have introduced some new blood that will allow selection towards SOP. During interval I will learn about how the pretty fowl business works with games.

I take the American Games in anyway knowing full well they will be DQ'ed. I have introduced some new blood that will allow selection towards SOP. During interval I will learn about how the pretty fowl business works with games.

Here are some American Game stags from my crele project. I am working these closer to the SOP for Old English so I can show them one of these days. They are Kentucky Dom/Kelsos.

Here is one that is double barred. Not SOP at all but a lovely bird.

Screenshot_20180726-195424_Gallery.jpg

Here are his single barred full brothers.

Screenshot_20180729-223205_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20180729-223142_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
My starting point with a similar project.
1 DOM.jpg
2 DOM.jpg

Leg color good, but type is off, has a pea comb, and base coloration is not BBR (e+). He has been bred to a BBR hen carrying pattern allele. He is homozygous for whatever is not e+. Next year I should get a percentage that is suitable for show but will be eating most culling out pea comb and pattern allele.

Back
Top Bottom