Standardbred Leghorn Thread

Pics

HaikuHeritageFarm

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Memphis, TN
I have been unable to find a thread specifically about Standardbred Leghorns, so I thought I'd start one. I'll be editing this first post to add information from the APA standard, as well as some other literature about the Leghorn that I've found helpful and interesting.

This is not a thread to discuss color projects unless you are working towards the standard in type and some sort of standard for an as-of-yet unapproved variety. (For example, you'll find me discussing the Isabella variety quite a bit as I begin to work towards exhibiting them, but they should conform as near as possible to the Light Brown description with the lavender dilution added.)

This is also not a thread for discussing hatchery leghorns or a thread for discussing pets or non-breeding leghorns.

This IS a thread for sharing photos and information of your Large Fowl and Bantam standardbred Leghorns, show wins or show information, details on club meets, breeding plans, inquiries for sources of standardbred stock or availability of the same, etc.

About me: I am new to standardbred Leghorns, about a year into them and making my first matings now. I have large fowl single comb Light Browns and a single Dark Brown cock from Bud Blankenship. I acquired these birds to move my Isabella Leghorns towards the standard, but am enjoying them immensely in their own right, especially after discovering how different they are from hatchery Leghorns. I have had quite a few conversations over the last year with great Leghorn breeders and hope to share their knowledge nuggets here if indeed I can't rope them into participating themselves.

Stay tuned! I look forward to talking to you all!

I was trying to grab photos of my breeding or possible breeding cockerels today and thought I'd share to get the ball rolling.

This is the single dark brown bird I have, a single cockerel hatched last May. All of my other dark browns were lost in an accident last summer, but he's proven to be quite a stunner and is probably my favorite leghorn male, though he is a bit "orangey" according to Bud. I love his balance I find the lower tail set attractive, probably because I have a problem with short backs and high tails in other programs. After discussing Isabellas with Dan Honor, I've decided to pair him with the Isabella females for a while as he advised the mahogany modifier from the dark looks very nice with the lav dilution.

136383218_469305600902823_8482144103820020874_n.jpg
136689238_511471396489832_8651238985748979956_n.jpg
136740158_739616420290794_150759164127102045_n.jpg

I have been unable to find a thread specifically about Standardbred Leghorns, so I thought I'd start one. I'll be editing this first post to add information from the APA standard, as well as some other literature about the Leghorn that I've found helpful and interesting.

This is not a thread to discuss color projects unless you are working towards the standard in type and some sort of standard for an as-of-yet unapproved variety. (For example, you'll find me discussing the Isabella variety quite a bit as I begin to work towards exhibiting them, but they should conform as near as possible to the Light Brown description with the lavender dilution added.)

This is also not a thread for discussing hatchery leghorns or a thread for discussing pets or non-breeding leghorns.

This IS a thread for sharing photos and information of your Large Fowl and Bantam standardbred Leghorns, show wins or show information, details on club meets, breeding plans, inquiries for sources of standardbred stock or availability of the same, etc.

About me: I am new to standardbred Leghorns, about a year into them and making my first matings now. I have large fowl single comb Light Browns and a single Dark Brown cock from Bud Blankenship. I acquired these birds to move my Isabella Leghorns towards the standard, but am enjoying them immensely in their own right, especially after discovering how different they are from hatchery Leghorns. I have had quite a few conversations over the last year with great Leghorn breeders and hope to share their knowledge nuggets here if indeed I can't rope them into participating themselves.

Stay tuned! I look forward to talking to you all!
This summer I plan to obtain some Leghorns from a few breeders. It will be a good opportunity for me to compare with the hatchery leghorns I already have.I'm going to be following this thread for sure.When I'm able to,I'll be posting some pics here.

I thought I had the most beautiful hen. When I took her to a show the judge remarked that her back wasn't long enough so I have been working on that. I had a nice male with a fairly long back. The next show is in March and I may attend. I like to see how the judges feel.
Post that pic of that gorgeous rooster!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom