Standards and Batams

Corey NC

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
North Carolina
I have a flock of 18 heavy breed hens and one BO cockerel, I also have 6 chicks in the brooder. I am wondering if it would be alright to get maybe 2 or 3 silkies or another type of batam and keep them with the standards.

Thanks!
Corey

I think it depends on the birds. I've had it go both ways... The Standards pick on the Bantams or the Standards don't pick on the Bantams.
Right now I have a Standard with six Bantams and it's working out fine because Kendra is very kind. Before that, I had two Barred Rocks with my Bantams and everyone got beat up by the BRs.

I got 4 younger chicks when they were 6 weeks old, now they are 14 weeks, and my other 7 hens are 26 weeks and laying beautifully. On of my younger chicks is a rooster. I had them separated for almost 3 weeks, when I put them in the coop they were inside a kennel for another week. When they were out of the kennel and fully mixed with my older hens my older girls would not roost with them they would fly to the top of the coop. My husband put boards up there so they couldn't get up there at night, I find my newer chickens have been bullied and they are still mostly in two separate groups so I am curious if getting a few silkies possibly other bantams would there be a lot of discord?

Back
Top Bottom