Standlee Flock Fresh & Manna Pro Medicated Chick Starter for day old chicks?!?!?

Nov 20, 2019
Hi everyone, sorry to be a pain but my chicks will be here tomorrow and I wanted to make sure this would be good for them I bought the Standlee Flock Fresh Poultry bedding, and I also bought the Manna Pro Medicated Chick Starter. Its been a while since I have had chickens. I dont wanna mess it up. :) There is a tractor supply nearby if needed. Also I will be adding organic apple cider vinegar to water.

Hi everyone, sorry to be a pain but my chicks will be here tomorrow and I wanted to make sure this would be good for them I bought the Standlee Flock Fresh Poultry bedding, and I also bought the Manna Pro Medicated Chick Starter. Its been a while since I have had chickens. I dont wanna mess it up. :) There is a tractor supply nearby if needed. Also I will be adding organic apple cider vinegar to water.
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Are your chicks being shipped? How many and from how far away? What breeds? If so, I HIGHLY recommend adding Poultry Nutri Drench to their first drinker full of water, and a direct dose to the beak of anyone who seems sleepy or weak upon arrival. Sometimes there ARE DOA's, if you need to consider protecting the kiddos at all.

I personally do NOT like the manna pro feed as last time I looked it had only 18% protein in their starter, verses others I have used are 22% protein. Plenty of folks do use it though. I settled on Purina Flock Raiser (20% protein, but note the AMINO ACID content as also being key) The medicated part... is needed in more crowded situations. But if your brooder only gets a few chicks and is easy to keep bedding dry, and WATER poo free... then not needed, but won't hurt. Also, it works by mimicking thiamine to slow the growth of coccidia (by starving them out it does not kill them)which are in every single chick poo. Again ONLY an issue if too much is ingested. Also, should not be given if chicks are vaccinated against coccidiosis as it renders the vaccine ineffective. Using vitamin supplements can negate the Amprolium as well. So if coccidiosis does get suspected do not supplement. One last note on this regard... Chicks can still get overwhelmed by coccidiosis and may still need to be treated with Corid or a sulfa drug. So while medicated feed can help, don't let it be a false sense of security if you start seeing any symptoms.

ACV is over rated and NO supplement should be given more than 10 days in a row. It *MAY* help some birds during time of need. Otherwise, the body does this amazing thing already called producing it's own anti, pre, and pro-biotics! Plus many feeds have them added in as well already. :cool:

I wouldn't personally use the flock fresh, though think it is an interesting (and pricey) product. Straw is not generally very absorbing and allows poo to sit on top in my experience. But I would be curious how it works out for you being chopped and all! Large flake shaving is the usual go to. And upon first introduction, I cover mine with paper towels rough side up to prevent slipping and ensure they know what the right feed is. Even sprinkle a little around to get them pecking.

Wow, 10 dogs... you are feeding a whole gang! 🐶

Check chick bumms often to make sure there is no pasty butt as it is deadly fast.

Adding your general location to your profile can help folks make the best suggestions possible at a glance. ;)

Hope the community here is as good to you as it has been to me. Welcome to the flock! :wee

I did get chicks vaccinated against Mareks and Im pretty sure coccidia, due to the fact that we have all the dogs and wouldn't want them to get it. I had them ship some starter feed with chicks and a bunch of other recommended items. YES 10 dogs, and 3 litters due in the next month or so! I love the chaos, I couldn't imagine my life without it!

I did get chicks vaccinated against Mareks and Im pretty sure coccidia, due to the fact that we have all the dogs and wouldn't want them to get it. I had them ship some starter feed with chicks and a bunch of other recommended items. YES 10 dogs, and 3 litters due in the next month or so! I love the chaos, I couldn't imagine my life without it!
It's important to know if they were vaccinated for coccidia. If so, go with a non-medicated chick starter, OR a flockraiser feed.

If vaccinated against cocci... Amprolium medicated feed renders the vaccine useless. Return it if you can. That's the only thing allow in feeds in the US. Not sure if it is the same as what you have or if they make other products than what I am familiar with.

My local county shelter had a sign posted recently they had an outbreak of giardia and coccidiosis in their dogs. There are many many strains of coccidia. They are mostly species specific.

Hope your chicks and pups all arrive safe and healthy! Pics always welcome! :pop

Back
Top Bottom