Starlings - Major Pests

evansacres

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
Does anyone else have these birds causing problems? I have had a few around, but now I have a flock of 10 or 15 birds and they are pooping in the ducks water and getting into their feed. They are so bold that even though I put the feed in the ducks house, they are just going in and making a mess inside. We are cold and snowy here and they should be moving south, but they are still here and just causing a major mess. I am going to attempt to cover the outside pen tomorrow to hopefully keep them out. This is the first year I've had any issues with them. I'm nervous as I've read and been told that they are the worst for carrying diseases and mites/lice etc.

Its called a BB gun
big_smile.png

In all seriousness if you take out one, i think the rest might get the idea and split. And if they are stupid enough to stick around, i know it sounds cruel but they are behaving like mice, eradicate them.

Last edited:
LOL
smile.png
Thanks - KansasKid...My husband said he wished he had a good gun with bird shot to kill them with! I do have a pellet gun in the house, but I've never actually shot it...and then I'd be concerned about the pellets after I missed (which I'm sure I will!!!)
lau.gif
- the ducks would probably eat them and die...oh, it's less hassle to try and keep them out!! I just wish the darn things would move south like they are supposed too!

Quote:
Are you having a mild winter? that maybe one reason why they haven't left yet. I haven't ever had a problem with them but I have heard they are big pests. My birds have to share their feed with the chipmonks which haven't gone to ground yet because we are having a mild winter so far.

Starlings are not an indigenous species..
They are actually European Starlings and can be trapped,
captered and kept as a pet,
or exterminated..... They do encroach on our native species.
I hate to suggest that but I understand.
The English Sparrow is another.

Quote:
Are you having a mild winter? that maybe one reason why they haven't left yet. I haven't ever had a problem with them but I have heard they are big pests. My birds have to share their feed with the chipmonks which haven't gone to ground yet because we are having a mild winter so far.

Miss Lydia - yes so far it has been a mild winter - except for the last two/three days. We've had highs of -10 with windchills of -21 (just nasty) I believe that the birds are probably trying to get as much food as possible to "move on" but since we live on a farm and there is an ample supply of waste seed some always stick around. Although, they have never bothered the ducks. I couldn't understand when I went out yesterday afternoon and saw the black spots, some were purple all over the place. I realized after watching that it was from the starlings. They are sitting on the ducks water tubs, of course with their butt hanging over the water...and eating all their food. This morning I put their food in the duck house and when I went out at noon there was a clear trail of purple poop all over the duck house and in the food container. It was disgusting - I'll take the duck poop over that any day!! The starlings got caught in the window and there is nasty purple (must be something they've eaten...) bird poop everywhere! Anyway - we'll try to cover things and maybe with less food to eat they will move on...

Aoxa - I only watched a few seconds of that video - I like my ducks, and other birds but i have to say that they are strictly outside animals here and having them in the house would drive me absolutely bonkers!!!
barnie.gif
lol.png

Quote:

Miss Lydia - yes so far it has been a mild winter - except for the last two/three days. We've had highs of -10 with windchills of -21 (just nasty) I believe that the birds are probably trying to get as much food as possible to "move on" but since we live on a farm and there is an ample supply of waste seed some always stick around. Although, they have never bothered the ducks. I couldn't understand when I went out yesterday afternoon and saw the black spots, some were purple all over the place. I realized after watching that it was from the starlings. They are sitting on the ducks water tubs, of course with their butt hanging over the water...and eating all their food. This morning I put their food in the duck house and when I went out at noon there was a clear trail of purple poop all over the duck house and in the food container. It was disgusting - I'll take the duck poop over that any day!! The starlings got caught in the window and there is nasty purple (must be something they've eaten...) bird poop everywhere! Anyway - we'll try to cover things and maybe with less food to eat they will move on...

Aoxa - I only watched a few seconds of that video - I like my ducks, and other birds but i have to say that they are strictly outside animals here and having them in the house would drive me absolutely bonkers!!!
barnie.gif
lol.png

Not my house, this is an animal sanctuary. They have way too many indoor birds IMO, but I can still enjoy their chaos from the computer
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom