starlings

Dont say you hate starlings for duing what is natural to them hate the guy who was obsessed wth shakespeir and brought them over.

They sell a fine netting that the birds get caught in and die. This works good for large amounts. I've heard of using glue traps (the big ones) The birds land on it and sufficate. Also if you can get your chickens put in another location for a couple of days you can put down some poisen seed, this is probably the most effective. I would eliminate the layer food and put down a tray of the seed. Make sure you clean everything up really good before bringing your layers back.

I would do something quick as breeding season is quickly approaching.
I would not use these things are they will trap any bird, not just starlings. They are also very inhumane and the birds will have a very slow death.

No slow death - non targeted species can be released, and the pests can be eliminated painlessly using a trash bag and auto exhaust for carbon monoxide. Certainly more humane than the way the crows treat the young starlings... rip them from their nests by the beak and fly off- with them to eat them .

Check the link in post 45.

Even here in Ohio winter, you can find insect if you move weeds and grass around.

Insect dont have to be active, for them to feed on them.
Watch a flock of starling, pick thru the grass fields, no they are no eating seed, but insect that try to winter over.

Randy open some of those crops, like to see what they have been eating.

I maybe wrong, but I dont see them eating my feed.
Come to my coop here in Central KY and I will gladly show you how much feed Starlings can consume. I only have 15 hens and 2 guineas. Had to move their feed into the coop because of the Starlings. Didn't take the pests long to find how to get inside the coop. Dang birds are eating a 50 pound bag of crumbles in a little over a weeks time. I have to stand by the feeder so my hens can get a little to eat

Come to my coop here in Central KY and I will gladly show you how much feed Starlings can consume. I only have 15 hens and 2 guineas. Had to move their feed into the coop because of the Starlings. Didn't take the pests long to find how to get inside the coop. Dang birds are eating a 50 pound bag of crumbles in a little over a weeks time. I have to stand by the feeder so my hens can get a little to eat

This year the winter has been harsh and the starlings are simply out of control. They go into my coop and eat feed and CRAP all over ever thing.
I take no mercy. On the weekends I will sit and watch. They will go through the pop hole, I go out and shut it. I go in and take care of them.
I do keep a tally sheet. Since December 1st I have dispatched over 450 starlings. Yesterday along I killed 62. The last few weeks I have not opened the pop door during the week while I am at work. It has been cold and snow on the ground so the hens don't come out much any way.
I hate hate hate the nasty disgusting creatures and if I could I get rid of every last one of them.

We have a recent starling infestation here at our home in Oregon. The large, noisy flock hangs out and nests in a huge Ash tree that shades our chicken yard. They fly down in swarms and devour any type of crumble they can get too. They also gobble up any cat kibble that is served outside. They don't seem as fond of pellets for some reason but eat some. Is there any type of feeder that is starling-proof? I am using regular gravity/tube feeders right now.

My question is will starlings peck and eat eggs out of nests? I have a well-behaved flock of 45 hens right now, with no previous egg-pecking tendencies. Several times over the last 2 weeks I found some pecked eggs or evidence of eggs that had been cracked and eaten. I noticed if I kept the large people door to my walk-in coop closed that no eggs are pecked/eaten, but if I leave the big door open there is evidence of pecking.

Any ideas anyone?

we have a horrid starling problem here too, only in the winter. we have feeders up well away from our coop. I have a grandpas feeder and that has absolutely saved my feed. however, they continue to get inside the coop through the pop door. I tried the cloth/plastic etc over it and everything will go in/out EXCEPT the chickens. started with just one piece at a time so they would get used to it. Ha!! I need ideas to keep them out, they make a MESS.

Another huge problem with starlings is the disease, mites including scaley leg mites they bring to the flock.

You can try shooting off a shotgun to scare them or fire crackers. Enclosing the run so they can't get in which is usually impractical for most of us.

I simple camp myself at the dining room window wait for a large group to go in, sneak out, close the pop door and go in and start dispatching the nasty things. I literally kill hundreds each year. I did so yesterday, our first snow which really brings them to the coop. I got 44 yesterday. For me it seems to really help by January I will not near the problem.

Here I thought it was bad that we'd have a few dozen cow birds near the feeders once or twice a week. Jeez I can't even begin to imagine the mess that thousands of starlings leave in their wake.

RichnSteph

Back
Top Bottom