starlings

scooter147

Songster
11 Years
Jul 30, 2008
Missouri
Dusted off the tennis racket yesterday and me and my Boston Terrier had a blast yesterday, the starlings are back
somad.gif
at robbing chicken feed from inside the coop
wink.png
lol.png

Remember--starlings are NOT native species to North America, so you are perfectly allowed to remove them. I don't think I could do it though.

Yep, The invasion usually starts earlier in the winter but so far our winter has been mild. I disposed of over 30 yesterday. They go through the pop door, I go in the people door and quickly shut the pop door and take care of business.
I lost count last year but I was up to over 300 when I stopped counting. I only have this problem in the winter.

holy moley!!! 300??!!!

Geez, I'm glad i've never had a starling problem. BTW-What part of MO are you in? I'm originally from Lee's Summit.

We have starling out the ying yang...they are horrible. This morning before I left for work my one 50 year old oak tree (BIG)was just covered with them, not a branch, twig or limb was not covered with these flying rats (I'd take pigeons any day over these nasty, ugly, greasy looking things).
I generally have this problem in the winter, the warmer months are not too bad at least they don't invade the coop.
Last night I took and old towels and cut it into strips and tacked up over the pop door in an attempt to keep them out. Of course, the chickens didn't know what to make of it but hopefully they will figure out they can walk through it.
I have a four foot long older feeder in my coop and almost every night I have some feed left, not last night, it was all gone every last pellet and bird crap all over the place.
I live in suburban St Louis. In my suburb we all have 5 acre + lots, lots of mature trees, many people with horses, pet goats, chickens, ducks, geese etc. and the starlings know there are lots of opportunity for a free lunch. Approx. 5 to 6 years ago the problem was so bad the Mo. Dept. of Conservation used cannon nets to try to reduce the population, they estimated they eliminated 20, 000 plus birds in a week period of baiting them with cracked corn, shooting the net over them, then destroying them.

Unfortunatly, starlings are very invasive over here. They are not native and compete for food and habitat with our native species. Just their shear numbers are overwhelming.

Oh crud! I hadn't thought about them. They usually invade my yard in the Summer. Now I have to worry about them stealing my duck food???? ACK!!!!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom