Started a coop in West Virginia

vegaome

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 3, 2014
West Virginia
Howdy Folks,

Not sure how long this will take me but I started a coop today. I don't have any flat ground but picked one of the flattest pieces around. Its going to be an open air coop 10' x 16'. I will build it up off the ground and got the four corner blocks somewhat leveled up and the lumber cut to frame the floor. I have to work tomorrow but may get to work on it the next day. I will try to get some pictures up soon.

v/r

Mike

vegaome

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 3, 2014
West Virginia
Here is the location I picked. I can look out my living room window and see it. Now I only get to work on this a little at a time so be patient with me. I'm not a carpenter either but I will give it a shot.

I did get all the 2x4's cut to frame the floor but the rain came and I had to quit. I will put them together and level them up. I plan on making a water level to level it. I'm thinking about making it slant to the down hill side and making a door back there so I can hose it out. The roost will be on the downhill end as well.

I will also put more support blocks underneath it. That's all for now. have a good evening.

v/r

Mike

vegaome

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 3, 2014
West Virginia
Hello Folks,

I took apart the 2 x 4 floor and will use them for wall studs and such. I bought some 2 x 6's and got them all cut to size except the 16' ones. Rained out for the day. I did make a water level and as soon as the silicone dries around the fitting I will try it out.

Here is a link to a good water level site: http://watrlevel.com/waterlevels.htm

I may have to change my location as there is a spring just up hill from the current site. It's a muddy mess from just me walking around. Maybe I should build a pond and get some ducks.

I will have to dig a ditch and see if I can divert the spring. I may be able to use it for watering the chickens.

v/r

Mike

kocho

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 20, 2014
That's too bad about the location since you already started. We started our coop this week too!!! I can't wait to see what my hubby does with it since he kind of took over the project.

vegaome

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 3, 2014
West Virginia
Well all may not be lost yet. It has been raining allot and since the spring is uphill I may be able to use the spot by diverting it. I do have other locations but they are further from the house.

Good luck with your coop and please do take some pictures.

v/r

Mike

Last edited:

Beekissed

Free Ranging
12 Years
Feb 14, 2008
This world is not my home.
Sure would be neat to capture that spring and solve your chicken watering problems. Just think, never having to carry water or clean out a waterer...you could even place a stock tank heater in it for winter and keep the same system. Just dig a hole in your seepiest place and rock it up. And you COULD have ducks...Khaki Campbell ducks are supposed to be better layers than most commercial layers and they are great foragers. Just think of the possibilities....

RoseMarie1

Songster
6 Years
Mar 31, 2013
Hattiesburg,Ms.
My Coop
My Coop
Sure would be neat to capture that spring and solve your chicken watering problems. Just think, never having to carry water or clean out a waterer...you could even place a stock tank heater in it for winter and keep the same system. Just dig a hole in your seepiest place and rock it up. And you COULD have ducks...Khaki Campbell ducks are supposed to be better layers than most commercial layers and they are great foragers. Just think of the possibilities....
oh yes that's what I was thinking to have water for them that would be awesome and not have to carry water.

vegaome

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 3, 2014
West Virginia
Howdy Folks,

I really want to keep the location so I will figure something out with the spring. I have not worked on the coop at all because of work, kids, and garden. It will take time but we will get it done. We did get 10 rows of potatoes planted this evening. Kennebec, Pontiac and a few Yukon golds.

Still have more planting to do and some fence to put up. My male dog killed a big wild turkey that came into the yard. He also got one of the biggest ground hogs I've seen in a while. I'm going to have to watch him around the chickens when we get them.

I did talk to a fellow at the feed store, that I went to school with who raises game chickens and guineas. I could of got guineas today but I'm not ready for them yet. He said he will have more later. That's all for now. Have a good day.

v/r

Mike

vehve

The Token Finn
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Kirkkonummi, Finland
My Coop
My Coop
Have you done anything to drain the area? At this point it would probably be easy to bury some drain pipes under and around your coop area, that would keep it a lot drier. The cheapest stuff goes for about a dollar a yard around here, but our sales tax is a lot higher than yours.

Top Bottom