Started my first coop today, with pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dapper, Mar 7, 2009.

1. dapper

dapper Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    I have never really built anything before other than some raised beds for planting a garden. I have researched and researched coops for the past two years. I was always a little leary because I didn't want to mess something up and basically the money I spent would be wasted. Well I ordered my chics this past Thursday from Ideal. I won't get them until April 23, or 24. This has given me the drive to get this coop done. I have had my brooder for more than a year. I am building my coop for 8 hens. I ordered 2 black, brown, gold, and red sex-links. This is what I got done so far. I also went to Lowes twice to get supplies and I have the footers and framing already cut and ready to screw together. I still need to find someone with linoleum to cover my floor. I want to do this before I put the walls up. All I need is a spare 4x8 piece. I hope to get the walls up tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Good start, maybe you'll have it in time for the coop contest. I am ALMOST finished with mine. I just need to buy a small thing of paint (touch up) and moulding!

3. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    Nice start and good luck. My dad just got 30 red sex link from Ideal,,,they are nice looking chicks.

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Whooohooo!!! Its coming along [​IMG]

5. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    [​IMG]

6. Suburban chick farmer 09

Suburban chick farmer 09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    Looks like someone is prepared. Nice start keep the pics coming.

7. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Looks good! I got a piece of linoleum by posting that I needed one on freecycle. Gave the size I needed and had someone reply and give me my choice of pieces he had available.
    I didnt mention it was for my chicken coop although he probably wouldnt have cared [​IMG]
    You can also buy a piece at Lowe's or Home Depot, they have some precut about the size you are looking for , they are about $30 I think...

Nancy

8. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I went and got those 1'X1' linoleum squares that are sticky on the back. You can find some really cheap styles at Lowe's. My coop was the exact same size and I think we paid 35 cents a square foot. Just a suggestion if you don't find someone with some extra.

9. dapper

dapper Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Thanks for all the comments, and the suggestions about the limoleum. While I was at Lowes yesterday I checked to see if maybe they had some scrap pieces, and they did not. The guy showed me some prepackaged 6x9 rolls that were like $22. I went to another place, salvage place none the less, and a 4x8 piced would have been $25. I just that that's too expensive for a coop. I am still gonna try and find someone that has some left over. I can still get all my walls built today I hope.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by