started pullets from cackle hatchery?

sunshine ducky

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 7, 2012
Illinois
Hi everyone,
I was thinking of buying started pullets from Cackle Hatchery. I was just wondering if anyone bought started pullets from them and how the experience was. Thank you, any advice is much appreciated!

I've bought started Pullets before, though not from a hatchery, a lady we knew would be a couple hundred straight run and raise them to sell started.
In my experience , they were always a bit skittish except for a few. I probably wouldn't do it again, at least I wouldn't look for started Pullets, if I was offered some then sure! for the price of 2 started pullets, I could get 10 chicks, plus theres shipping to consider unless you can pick them up.

Generally I’ve heard good things about started pullets. You get them and pretty soon they start to lay! And they are for sure girls. I don’t have first hand knowledge of cackles, but they are a well regarded hatchery.

the biggest issue is shipping cost. Are you planning to pick them up or have them shipped?

Generally I’ve heard good things about started pullets. You get them and pretty soon they start to lay! And they are for sure girls. I don’t have first hand knowledge of cackles, but they are a well regarded hatchery.

the biggest issue is shipping cost. Are you planning to pick them up or have them shipped?
thanks for the advice, I actually bought one black australorp pullet today. Shipping is $80 and the hen itself is $30 so the price is quite hefty. I should be getting her early December. I hope this works out well! I've never bought started pullets before.

We purchased started pullets from Murray McMurray. They came to us about 15/16 weeks based on how they looked and when they laid. They are healthy, relatively friendly and not aggressive, though not very cuddly. We ordered a Delaware, and a Buff Orpington. We would do it again.

Back
Top Bottom